Bilingual Royals

Bilingual Royals

Bonjour! Photo by Evelyn Zhao

Bonjour! Photo by Evelyn Zhao

Bonjour! Photo by Evelyn Zhao

Bonjour! Photo by Evelyn Zhao

Maryann Compton and Evelyn Zhao

Speaking more than one language is impressive and definitely considered a talent. Evelyn and I were inspired to write this article because we both speak more than one language. For me, I learned Vietnamese when I was young and continued to learn throughout my years in high school. For Evelyn, she is fluent in Chinese since she was young and came to America this year.

Here at Rosary, you are probably used to hearing and speaking only English, but did you know that there are many students on campus who are able to speak two or more languages? So let’s travel around the world to different countries and see which Rosary students can speak more than one language.

Starting off in Mexico, students Meghan Gomez ‘20, Genesis Cabral ‘20, Alyzza Munoz ‘19 and many more students can speak Spanish fluently. Alyzza explains, “A technique that helped me practice was speaking to my family constantly in Spanish. Since my grandma and my mom spoke Spanish around the house, it really helped when learning at school and at home because I was able to practice the language for the real world and helping others.”

I love you by Keqin. Photo by  Maryann

Moving to France, Marie Medlen ‘20 is fluent in French. Marie has a background in French and her mother is also fluent, and occasionally speaks to Marie in French. Marie states, “The biggest difference between French and English is the fact that you have to conjugate verbs and the French accent too. The accent is actually fun but hard to remember.”

Next, we go to China where seniors Yunqi Shi, Sooyeon Kim, juniors Xinya Huang, Wenqi Zhao, Keqin Chen, and freshman Xiaoyang Zhao are international students that are all fluent in Chinese and practice it daily, at home and at school. According to Evelyn, Chinese is a difficult language to learn due to the fact that the Chinese use Chinese symbols or Zhōngwén instead of the alphabet. Keqin states, “The most obvious difference between English and Chinese is that in Chinese, there are four pitches, there is the first tone ( ˉ ), second tone (ˊ), third tone ( ˇ ), and the fourth tone (ˋ). If you misuse a tone, the word will have a completely different meaning. An example of this is “hǎo or hào.” Hǎo means good or easy whereas hào means to like.

Next, we move to Korea, where Sooyeon Kim ‘19 can speak fluent Korean. Sooyeon states, “Korean is an interesting language to learn and is definitely useful. Korean is becoming a worldwide language due to the fact that boyband BTS has become popular and attracted fans all over the country.”

Next up we go to Russia. Marissa Penino ‘19 can understand Russian and partially speak it. When learning the language, Marissa suggests, “Learn common words first before diving into the language as a whole.”

Moving to India, Rebekah Barnabas ‘19 can speak fluent Tamil. Tamil is one of the most popular languages spoken in South India.

Language Wordle by Maryann. Photo by Maryann Compton

Going to Lebanon, Berna Hattouni ‘20 is fluent in Lebanese. Berna started learning Lebanese when she was really young. Berna’s family tries to visit Lebanon at least once every three years and always has a blast going. Also in Lebanon, Arabic is a widely spoken language. Mya Hernandez ‘20 and Joy Joukahdar ‘19 can speak Arabic fluently. Arabic is the fifth top spoken language in the world.

Moving to the Philippines, juniors Lara Macatangay, Mauriz Stoddard, Leslie Leuterio and senior Christel Alino can all speak fluent Tagalog. Lara explains, “English was one of the hardest languages for me to learn, but with the aid of friends and teachers, I was able to learn English at a normal pace.”

While there are students on Rosary’s campus that know more than one language, there are also teachers too. A couple of teachers including beloved Mr. Stegink, know more than one language, so let’s find out which languages those are.

Mr. Stegink, teacher of English I and English III, knows just enough ASL to be able to carry a conversation. Mr.Stegink took ASL in college, and as he explains, “There was a deaf girl at my school who I liked, so I took ASL just so I could ask her on a date. Sadly she rejected me, but now I have this skill that I can use to my advantage.”

Our next teacher, Mr.Bevins knows a little Thai from when he taught in Asia for 2 years.

Lastly, Mrs. Jenkins is fluent in Spanish. Her parents are from Guatemala and when she was young she learned and spoke Spanish with her family as her second language, but used it more than English.

Many languages are used in the country, and many of them are used on the Rosary campus. One characteristic of Rosary’s community is its diversity. All languages are wonderful and very interesting to learn. If you speak another language, comment them down below.

About the Writers
Maryann Compton, Staff Writer

Maryann Compton has been known to have a witty, outgoing personality. She is a junior at Rosary Academy and is excited to be in journalism. In her spare...

Evelyn Zhao, Staff writer

Evelyn Zhao is a new international student from China who would love to be a Royal Reporter this year. Everything not only in the school but also in the...