Tri-School Takes Upland!

Members+of+Tri-School+taking+a+group+picture+before+splitting+up+to+go+to+their+workshops.+Photo+by+Juliana+Maldonado+

Tri-School Takes Upland!

Members of Tri-School taking a group picture before splitting up to go to their workshops. Photo by Juliana Maldonado

Joy Joukhadar, Editor-in-Chief

Last Saturday, before all their homecoming preparations, a group of Tri-School students went to Upland for the annual Thespian Southern Leadership and Tech Conference. Students from troupes all around southern California were invited to come and participate in workshops to hone their leadership skills and learn more about technical theatre.

Tri-School kids taking a fun picture before the start of their busy day. Photo by Tri-School

The artistic director of Tri-School, Mr. Frankie Marrone, was excited to bring some thespians to participate in the event. He said, “At the beginning of every year, it’s good to press the pause button and get together with like-minded leaders and discuss and exchange ideas to make our troupe stronger and have a more productive year ahead.”

The guest speaker of the event, Kyle Cole, is a design executive for Disney Parks. He gave a presentation on leadership expectations. Sophomore Claire Early loved the talk, saying,”It’s so cool how he started off helping with the sound at his church and now he’s worked on everything from the Emmy’s to Disney productions. He gave a lot of good advice, like about being reasonable with your expectations of others and always being level headed, understanding, and quick-thinking in case of an emergency.”

Tri-School kids enjoying lunch in between workshops. Photo by Joy Joukhadar

This year was junior Juliana Maldonado‘s first time at the conference. She attended workshops about fundraising, marketing, and advocating for theatre in schools. She shared,”I felt like this was a great experience since I learned leadership skills that will help me not only in theatre, but also with my other activities like ASB. It was cool to meet people with similar interests from other schools and share stuff like fundraising an bonding ideas together! ”

Connelly and Servite sophomores Gabriela Mercado and Sam George enjoying some donuts, courtesy of Santa Margarita High School. Photo by Joy Joukhadar

Tri-School students got to meet people from everywhere, from Ontario to Temecula, and share ideas and experiences. They even met up with fellow theatre-geeks from Mater Dei and were gifted donuts from Santa Margarita High School students.  Servite, Connelly, and Rosary thespians all had an enjoyable, educational time at this year’s Thespian Southern Leadership and Tech Conference, and they can’t wait to learn more at year’s conference.

About the Writer
Joy Joukhadar, Editor-in-Chief

Joy Joukhadar is a passionate senior who can be spotted walking around campus with a tub of ice cream. She can't wait for her final year at the Academy...