Have You Voted?

Have You Voted?

"I Voted" sticker

Photo by Dwight Burdette

"I Voted" sticker

Photo by Dwight Burdette

Photo by Dwight Burdette

"I Voted" sticker

Caitlin McClure, Copy Editor

I know most of us at Rosary can’t vote but that doesn’t mean we can’t get involved, and the Young and Informed club at Rosary is working hard to encourage Rosary students to get involved in their community.

Co-President of the club, Joy Joukhadar ’19 said,”Montse [Montserrat Ortega] ’19 and I wanted to start the club because we were inspired by all the young people across the nation becoming politically active, and we wanted to make a club where we could educate girls on how they can be active citizens.” Club goals include: informing Rosary Royals on the political system, preregistering students to vote, inspiring Royals to express their opinions, and allowing an outlet for youth voices to be heard.

One of the ways they are encouraging civil engagement is through a program set up to allow students to volunteer at the voting tolls.

Informational sheet on working at the polls.  Photo by Caitlin McClure

Both Joy Joukhadar and Montserrat Ortega are hoping to get as many volunteers as they can to help work the polls. Those who volunteer will attend an informational meeting where a few lucky individuals will be chosen to work the polls on November 6th.

If anyone is still interested, Mr. Chavez, moderator of the Young and Informed club, would like you to know: “If you are interested in working on election day, contact me because I still have applications.”