Day in the Life of an AP Student

Rosary+offers+a+plethora+of+AP+classes+available+to+students.+Photo+by+Rebekah+Barnabas+
Rosary offers a plethora of AP classes available to students. Photo by Rebekah Barnabas

Marissa Pennino and Rebekah Barnabas

Two words: Advanced Placement.

While these words often instill fear, the plethora of AP classes at Rosary keep students busy and challenged, in addition to giving students an opportunity to earn college credit. However, since AP classes are technically college-level classes, they can be strenuous and time-consuming. 

The load of AP classes can range anywhere from one all the way to six.  We followed 3 different AP scholars around for the day, senior Nicole Garcia, junior Laurie Younes, and sophomore Brooke Bowen. 

7 A.M: The day starts bright and early for Laurie and Nicole. Since they are campus ministers, they have zero period twice a week. On top of this, Nicole has PAL and ASB, adding up to a total of four zero periods a week.  

8 A.M: Brooke is headed off to AP European History, Laurie to AP English Language and Composition, and Nicole to AP Chemistry.  The morning is already packed with AP’s.  

9:30 A.M: Nicole is off to her favorite class, AP Psychology. “The class is so interesting; I learn something new every day. Plus, we do fun activities and games, so it’s not as rigorous as my other AP classes.” 

11:15 A.M: After a short break filled with cramming for tests and quizzes the next period, Laurie is on her way to AP U.S History and Nicole is headed to AP Calculus BC.  

12:45 P.M: After a long, busy day of classes, Nicole has an ambassador meeting at lunch and Laurie and Brooke leave for a tennis match.   

So how are you supposed to balance this madness? According to Laurie, it’s all about time management: “Since I play a fall sport and still try to make time for family and friends, balancing is key.” 

Nicole Garcia upholds the same idea about time management: “Time management is key! I try not to procrastinate and wait until the last minute. It’s all about finding that balance, while still having a social life, too. It’s how I stay sane.”  

Senior Nicole Garcia hard at work studying. Photo by Rebekah Barnabas

Brooke believes in the power of time management as well; however, she expressed that organization is essential: “The key is to stay organized and have a system to keep track of all your homework and responsibilities in order to stay on top of everything.” 

While the life of an AP student may sometimes come close making a student’s head explode, with proper time management and organization skills, along with some loving Royal sister motivation, the consensus is that it’s ultimately rewarding.