In Remembrance of 9/11

Tina Enright, Staff Writer

This past Tuesday, America remembered the terrible tragedy of September 11, 2001, when four American commercial airplanes were hijacked by terrorists; two of them then crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City, resulting in nearly 3,000 deaths. The Rosary community stood in solidarity with our fellow Americans by hosting a morning ceremony of remembrance.

To begin, we lowered the American flag to half-staff to pay our respects. Mrs. Kappe beautifully sang the song “Shepard Me O God,” and Mr. Lyons even played “Honor and Arms” on the trumpet. It was a very beautiful event.

Mr. Lyons plays “Honor and Arms” during the 9/11 Memorial Service. Photo by Ms. Barclay

A few students were kind enough to share their thoughts on the ceremony.

Sofia Benavides ’19 says, “I’m really glad that Rosary does a ceremony honoring first responders every year on 9/11. It’s a really significant date in our history where a lot of lives were lost and a lot of lessons were learned, and it’s only right to honor and remember those directly affected and involved in the event.”

First Responders at 9/11 Ceremony. Photo by Ms. Barclay

Sarah Gapinski ’20 adds, “I thought it was very cool how the first responders were able to make an appearance. It made the ceremony much more special.”

Mya Hernandez ’20 states, “I absolutely loved Mrs. Kappe’s singing! Her voice is so beautiful and she gave everyone in the rose garden chills. The songs she sang and the way her voice carries a tune was perfect, given the severity of the occasion.”

Gianna Arenas ’21 shares, “I think it’s great that the Rosary community gathers and remembers all those who lost their lives and especially those who risked everything for the good of others. 9/11 is a sorrowful, yet beautiful reminder of how as a human family we can put aside our differences and help one another.”

9/11 was an event that tragically affected American lives forever. It is very important that we as a country never forget the events that took place that September morning or the lives that were taken from so many. The annual ceremony that Rosary holds is a great way to honor and pay our respects to the first responders who risk their lives daily while remembering the calamity that took place seventeen years ago.