Books for Change

Isabella Tejeda 20', along with volunteers, help carry the collected books into Higher Ground's Facility for children to read and learn from. Photo by Donna Reinbold

Kat Davis, Staff Writer

Rosary Academy’s very own junior, Isabella Tejeda ’20, has been working hard to make a difference in the world one book at a time. Just one year ago, Isabella founded “Read a Story, Change a Life,” a program designed to spark the love of reading in young children through the collection and distribution of books, in partnership with Higher Ground Youth and Family Services. Just this summer, Isabella was able to raise over $5,000 in books, which she then donated to Higher Ground.

Higher Ground is a nonprofit organization based in Anaheim that was founded by St. Martin de Porres’ parishioner Joe Baldo back in 2012. This organization provides many different programs for families living within at-risk communities in Anaheim, such as mentoring programs that help with their education.

“Read a Story, Change a Life” is Isabella’s Girl Scout Gold Award project. She’s put in over 100 hours of service into creating and running this project, even though the requirement was only 60 hours. In order to receive the Gold Award, Girl Scouts must have already completed two Senior/Ambassador journeys (activity books that each Girl Scout receives based on their rank) or one journey and have received the Silver Award. The Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards are the highest awards given to Girl Scouts who have done “big things while working on an issue that captures your interest in a big way,” as stated on the Girl Scouts’ webpage.

In Isabella’s case, she has received  her Bronze and Silver Awards and has completed both her journeys. She has recently completed her Gold Award and is continuing her program, “Read a Story, Change a Life” just for fun and service.

Isabella Tejeda sits with a buddy and helps him read a book  that was donated to her program “Read a Story, Change a Life.” Photo by Victoria Tejeda

Isabella is proud of her achievements as a Girl Scout. She states, “I really love helping others out. By creating this program, not only do I get to help kids, but I also get to help increase literacy in our local community. I am hoping to encourage members of the Reaching Higher Ground Club to come help out at Higher Ground and continue their love of service. Working at Higher Ground has been a true blessing and I’m so happy I have had the opportunity.”

She is just one of the many inspiring Royals at Rosary Academy, working together in their communities to help their dear neighbor.