Fall Sports Update

Holly Middleton and Isabella Tejeda

This week The Royal Reporter shines a light on our four fall sports – how they’ve been doing and where they’re headed – from varsity to frosh-soph.

Volleyball

Varsity

Paige Hesseltine ’20 sends the ball streaking over the net against Brea Olinda on August 30th. Photo by Alan Ruffier

With a record of 7 wins and 3 losses, Royal volleyball is serving up a storm, handing defeats to Troy, Santa Ana, Tustin, Pacifica Christian, Fairmont Prep, Fullerton, and Chaffey. Although losing to Santa Margarita in their first Trinity League game, varsity volleyball intends to up the ante and defeat their next Trinity opponent Mater Dei on Tuesday, September 11th, at 5:45 PM. Head on down to the Karcher Center, folks!

Junior Varsity

Junior Varsity has fun in some of their official team photos. Photo by Mike Barnes

Our future varsity players need not feel left out from the great record that Rosary has put up thus far. JV volleyball has a record of 9 wins and 3 losses and they seek to increase the winning side of their record this week against Mater Dei on Tuesday, September 11th at 4:30 PM.

Frosh-Soph

Freshman Amanda Angle dives to save her team’s rally against Tustin High School. Photo by Alan Ruffier

Last but not least, frosh-soph have also been making the Academy proud. With a 6-4 overall record, the team also looks forward to continuing their streak this Tuesday, September 11th, at 3:30 PM.

Golf

Jaelynn Perez ’19 and Mary Walloch ’21 prepare for their next matc. Photo by Chayse Gomez

The 2018-2019 Royal golf season is in full swing, with the Royals accumulating 6 wins against great teams like Brea Olinda, La Quinta, Marina, and St. Joseph. At the forefront is senior and Oregon State commit Chayse Gomez, who’s earned the match title of medalist three times this season so far. The golf team takes on Santa Margarita on Tuesday, September 11th, at 3:00 PM.

Cross Country:

Cross Country smiles excitedly for their new season. Photo by Mike Barnes

Cross Country is off to another winning season, which began with their first meet on September 7th. Marie Brier ‘20 explains how excited she is for this upcoming season, “We have been working hard in practices by putting in the mileage and I can tell our hard work is paying off. So far, I have loved running, hiking, paddle boarding, and swimming in Mammoth. I can’t wait to see where this season takes us.”

With already a few races under her belt, Marie tells The Royal Reporter that her favorite race so far has been at the University of California Santa Barbara. 

Tennis:

Varsity

Varsity Tennis poses for a picture to commemorate the beginning of the 2018-19 season. Photo by Mike Barnes

Varsity tennis is off to a great start with two wins against Valley Christian and St. Joseph’s. Varsity players have been working hard during the summer and the first few weeks of school to improve their tennis skills. In the last two matches, the Rosary tennis girls have worked hard to play their best and have fun. Their next match is on Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 2:30 p.m. at Fullerton Tennis Center against El Dorado High School.

Sophia Mall ‘19, one of the tennis captains, let The Royal Reporter know what she is most excited about, “I am looking forward to spending my senior year with the girls I’ve grown up with in high school, both in my grade and those I’ve watched grow from new freshmen, to amazing tennis juniors. I am so incredibly proud of everyone on the team and I can’t wait to see how we do this season.” Great job tennis.

Junior Varsity:

Junior Varsity strikes a pose while entering their first year on Rosary Academy’s tennis team. Photo by Mike Barnes

Rosary Academy’s junior varsity team is also doing great. The girls have improved on their tennis skills and are thriving. Kate Haines ‘22 shares insight to what the team is like when she explains, “I feel that we have improved so much from the first day. We are all working really hard to do our best, while at the same time having fun. I am looking forward to playing other schools and examining their strengths and weaknesses.” JV’s next game is September 11th at El Dorado High School, make sure to come out and support. Great job to our Royals.