What Not To Do for the ACT

What Not To Do for the ACT

Holy Middleton '19 cramming for the ACT. Photo by Kiren Grewal

Kiren Grewal, Managing Editor

The ACT is one of two standardized tests used in the college admissions process. Essentially, it makes or breaks your chances of getting into your dream school. I’ve taken the ACT a total of three times, the most recent being this past Saturday, September 8th.  So I’m basically a professional at knowing what not to do because I’ve either seen, heard, or done it myself.  

ACT essentials. Photo by Kiren Grewal

1. DON’T procrastinate 

I know this probably seems obvious, but I can’t stress it enough. Every single time I’ve taken the ACT, I’ve told myself I’ll study months ahead of time. Yet, I always find myself cramming the night before the test. The night before my first test, after violently sobbing through my math drills, I quickly signed up to take the ACT again in June because I knew I had no hope. Senior Nicole Garcia blames procrastination for making her “literally fail” her first standardized test; however, she said that “once I battled procrastination and actually studied, I was able to get the score I wanted.”

1. DON’T cheat 

Okay, full disclosure, I have never cheated on a standardized test- but I have seen it happen. Cheating is a fantastic way to get your scores canceled and waste sixty dollars. On Saturday, our proctor was determined to get some poor soul’s test canceled; after the reading section, this innocent victim was simply playing with his calculator. The proctor called in the head of Mater Dei’s ACT department and insisted that she take the student’s test away. However, the head proctor disagreed and let the boy continue to take the test. As you can see, the rules are not to be reckoned with. Iris Kang ’19 remembered how a girl forgot to turn off her phone during the test. “She was taking her test and her phone started ringing. I was shook when the teacher just took the phone and didn’t say anything until the section was over. She got kicked out during break!” Even something as simple as forgetting to turn your ringer off is seen as cheating. 

1. DON’T forget your calculator 

This one is crucial. Technically, standardized tests are doable without one because only half of the questions require a calculator. However, it’s terribly time consuming since you have to do 60 problems in 60 minutes. On Saturday, Senior Chayse Gomez forgot her calculator at home. No one came to her rescue and provided her with an extra, so she was faced with the daunting task of doing the whole math section without a calculator. She wants everyone  to know “don’t ever take a calculator for granted!”  

If you are sure to avoid doing these things you might just get a great score and go to college. Happy studying, and may the odds be ever in your favor. 

About the Writer
Kiren Grewal, Managing Editor

When she is not slaying her opponents on the tennis court, Kiren Grewal is a diligent academic at Rosary Academy.  Also involved in a plethora of school...