Turning Tables

Turning Tables

From 0 to 100 the freshman tables get quite crowded. Photo by Kat Davis

Isabella Tejeda and Kat Davis

A large wave of freshmen has recently swept into Rosary Academy’s halls, classrooms, and, in particular, lunch tables. With such a big crowd, seating for lunch became a tight squeeze as the freshmen needed more tables to accommodate them.

As thought by outsiders, large numbers were the cause. Ms. Young stated, “This is the biggest freshmen class we’ve had in a couple years. It’s a great problem to have.”  But, just like any other problem, there is always more than one cause. One freshman explained, “People expected to have room for their backpacks and lunch boxes and water bottles, so they were using tables for their personal storage areas.” Since freshmen are still adjusting to their new environment, it was expected for them to bring along old customs.

Abigail Tice ‘22 gave insight into what her and some other students did to improvise, “We didn’t have much room to sit normally on the tables, so we would just sit on the bench of the table and turn outwards with our food on our lap.”

This problem, lasting about three days of the first week of school, has since been resolved by the caring seniors of 2019, as they willingly gave the freshmen some of their very own tables. Holly Middleton ‘19 even thought of ways to help solve the issue, suggesting, “Seniors could welcome some juniors [into the senior quad], in turn making space for sophomores, and finally, providing more space for freshmen. This also gives us seniors more time to spend with the juniors.”

Melissa Hanson ‘22 graciously stated, “We are very appreciative to our seniors for donating tables to our class. We all didn’t really have a place to sit and now we do.”

This glimpse of generosity from the senior class has been a great start to the 2018-2019 year.