Unbe-leaf-able Fall Sports Rally

Unbe-leaf-able Fall Sports Rally

Seniors moshing in the middle of the Karcher Center. Photo by Megan Darling

Kiren Grewal and Marissa Pennino

On Wednesday, August 29, Royals took the school by storm at the fall sports rally. The rally’s theme this year was Hawaiian Luau, and the Karcher Center was decked out with tiki torches and palm trees. All students wore leis, waved their class-colored pom poms, cheered wildly, and were ready to take home the glory, bragging rights, and of course – the legendary spirit stick.  

Tennis, volleyball, golf, and cross country were all celebrated and received shout outs. Rosary’s dance team performed another exquisite number; even though the music stopped, the show still went on. And of course, seniors and spirit commissioners Iris Kang and Sofia Oseguera hit it out of the park with their puns and games, which were nothing short of unforgettable.  For example, to introduce the tennis team, Iris and Sofia bantered back and forth, ending by posing the question “When does Serena Williams go to bed?” Sofia responded, “Tenn-ish.” Get it?

Seniors Iris Kang and Nikelle Walker in hula-hooping-ball-catching fight to the death. Photo by Megan Darling

All one hundred and sixteen of the thunderous freshmen dispelled the rumors of “newbie shyness” and gave it their all with an abundance of spirit and enthusiasm. They definitely gave the upperclasswomen a run for their money.  

However, Ms. Young’s senior flamingos faced off with Ms. Barclay’s junior seals and both classes were sure they were each other’s only real competition in the spirit battle. Senior Giovanna Pinel even rallied a little too hard and consequently broke her glasses. 

The rally ended with a well-anticipated spirit competition. Stakes were extremely high; everyone was in it to win it. Seniors Maya Gonzalez and Caitlyn Shank were seen chest-bumping, and sophomore Tara Fishman bravely led her class into battle. The deafening screams could be heard well outside of the Karcher Center; many students complained about sore throats afterwards. In the end, the sophomores shocked the school with their victory and won the spirit stick. 

Sophomores reacting to their well-deserved win. Photo by Megan Darling

Amelia Fiorentino ‘21 was ecstatic that the sophomore class was able to win the first rally of the school year. “I feel like winning the spirit rally really brought my class together and was a good start to the new year. Winning was definitely fun, but I think I had more fun cheering with my class along with the other classes.” 

As expected, seniors, juniors, and freshmen questioned the integrity of the final verdict. The Royal Reporter asked our very own religion teacher, Mrs. Rosales, who she thought truly won the 2018 fall sports rally.  

“The spirit in the Karcher Center for this rally was amazing. Every grade brought all of their energy, and all of the teachers noticed it. We were sitting on the opposite side of the Karcher center from the sophomores, but we could definitely hear them from where we were, and we could see their energy and enthusiasm.” 

So, that myth is debunked. Looks like we will have to accept the sophomores’ rightful win.  

Sofia Oseguera ‘19 expressed, “The first rally was a great way to kick off the school year. Surprisingly, everyone was super spirited, and I can’t wait to see who wins the spirit stick next.”