Wish Week

Lindsey Shank and Jacqueline Carr showing their spririt for Wish Week.

Photo Credit: Ava Cunningham

Photo Credit: Ava Cunningham

Ava Cunningham and Bella Davies

Every year, the Make-A-Wish club dedicates a week to raising money to grant a wish for a child with a critical illness between the ages of 2 1/2 and 18. The club, headed by seniors Chloe Ruffier and Alison Viggiano, represents the nonprofit organization Make-A-Wish Orange County that has granted wishes to more than 6,000 children since 1983.

Junior Haley Robinson, one of the club officers, reveals that “Wish Week is important because we are helping a kid have an experience that they might not have due to their incurable diseases.” During Wish Week, which took place from April 23 – April 27, different themes were incorporated throughout the week that students could participate in for 2 dollars a day.

Photo Credit: Bella Davies
Haley Robinson ’19 encouraging people to attend Spirit Night.

Mrs. Huerta, the Director of Activities and moderator of the Make-A-Wish Club, feels strongly about this cause and believes that “if we can raise 6,000 dollars in a semester to build a well in Uganda, then there is no reason we cannot raise 5,000 dollars to help a child who will never get the same experiences and privileges as we will.”

On Monday, the theme was “Wish to Be,” in which students were able to dress up like their favorite celebrity or someone they aspire to be. Royals chose to wear some very creative and hilarious costumes!

Tuesday, students dressed to the theme “Wish to Go,” and came to school dressed as tourists. Seniors Lindsey Shank and Jacqueline Carr showed off their wacky spirit in Hawaiian shirts and fanny packs. Chloe and Ali also sold pizza at lunch for 2 dollars a slice and the booming business from the student body really helped make progress toward the club’s goal.

On Wednesday there was no free dress; however, Make-A-Wish is selling Krispy Kreme donuts at lunch and holding a Spirit Night from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Chick-fil-A in the Brea Plaza. With every purchase for the club, 15% of the proceeds will go towards bringing that child one step closer to their wish.

Photo Credit: Bella Davies
Chick-fil-A flyer advertising the Wish Week spirit night.

Thursay’s theme was “Wish to Play,” when Royals can dress up like a sports player of their choice, and Friday was World Wish Day and everyone was encouraged to wear blue.

President of the club, Chloe Ruffier, shared, “You may not think that your dollar goes a long way but it makes a huge difference in one child’s life.” Make sure to dress up and help the Make-A-Wish club grant a child’s wish while you still can!