A Mother’s Perspective on Catholic College

Clarissa Arias and Lindsey Shank

Photo Credit: Camille Demman
Mrs. Demman and Camille (2015) embracing each other.

Most Royals know and experience the benefits of a Catholic high school education. However, some may not be aware of the advantages a Catholic university also provides. The Royal Reporter asked Denise Demman ’86 about her experience at a Catholic college.

RR: How did the Catholic aspect of your education improve your college experiences?

DD: Walking through a Catholic University, it is easy to feel comfortable with one’s values, faith, life experience and self….Going away to college is a great experience of opening your eyes to the world and getting out of your bubble, but having a place that feels like home, and having other Catholic students surrounding you can reaffirm your own roots. You are not a number or just a student. You are valued and know you are surrounded by people who care about you and the pressures of college.

RR: What are the advantages of being at a Catholic college?

DD: There is nothing better than going to Mass at a University. At Creighton, there was the candlelit Mass at 10 p.m. on Sunday nights. Most students would leave the library and walk over to the Cathedral on campus, sit on the floor by the alter and have Mass. That experience is unique. There is nothing more inspiring than to see Jesuits walking around with students, playing intramural sports or sitting on the grass studying. The bigger picture of being a Catholic is brought to a worldly level.

RR: How has this shared university experience highlighted your relationship with your daughter?

DD: Funny question, since a mother-daughter bond can be tested in high school and in college. I gave Camille the best opportunity to grow in her faith. I know she sets examples for others, and I know Camille may be challenged at times with her faith. This is the time in a young woman’s life to challenge and grow and find out who you are in school. Camille is confident in her skin because of the warm environment she had from Rosary. She is active on campus, I believe, in part because of the opportunities she gained at Rosary. Camille spreads her optimism and joy to others. That makes our relationship better…I believe she has learned, like I did, that sometimes it is one’s faith that will get you through rough times. I believe she and I both know the power of prayer is a true force. I believe our strong family unit would not have been as strong without our Catholic school upbringing. Boundaries that our faith provide are good; they keep us stable.

RR: What advice would you offer to Rosary students about the college decision process?

DD: Listen to your own voice. Don’t feel pressure from every person you know asking you where you are going to school. Follow your own heart. It’s great to take advice (especially your parents’), but in the end, choose a school you know is right for you…When you do decide on what university you will attend, keep it quiet to yourself for a week. Think about it and don’t tell anyone. See how that decision fits you first before sharing. And in the end, if you chose a school not so great for you…..no biggie. I transferred from Loyola Marymount University and met my life long friends at Creighton and traveled all over the Midwest. Remember, God has a plan, it may not be your plan, but if you listen and are open to God’s will, everything will be alright.

The Royals feel honored to have Mrs. Denise Demman contribute to our newspaper, where we get to hear all her words of advice. The confidence she has in Camille makes us remember that honoring our parents is important because they set our faith example.

No matter where the Royal seniors end up, everyone will find their place at an awesome campus if they remember God has a plan!

Photo Credit: Camille Demman
This is an awesome selfie of Camille and Mrs. Demman smiling and enjoying a bright day.