Red and Gold Is ON!!!

Ms. Barclay, Adviser

It’s that time of year again – Red and Gold season has officially begun!

A. Barclay
Red and Gold team captains come together for Kick-Off!

Today’s Kick-Off skits showcased the 2017 theme, “A Stroke of Genius,” along with the two teams’ mascots: Red – Warriors; Gold – Gladiators.

A. Barclay
The 2017 theme is finally revealed!

Coming out first, ASB opted to tell the story of a Rosary Academy student in search of her lost lanyard. With several spot on impressions, including senior Stephanie Weissig as Mr. Emrick, junior Maura Cannon as Dean Nanry, and senior Aleena Ferozuddin as RA’s beloved security guard, Maurice, the student leaders put on one of the most memorable theme reveals yet. Aleena said, “Playing Maurice was a lot of pressure because everyone knows him, and he has a distinct way of talking, but it was fun because he’s a really fun guy. I knew he wasn’t going to take any offense.”

A. Barclay
Junior Maura Cannon as Dean Nanry!
A. Barclay
Senior Aleena Ferozuddin playing Maurice, the best back parking lot security guard ever!
A. Barclay
Some “Servite students” make an appearance in the ASB skit.

Senior Andi Hester made the crowd roar with her hilarious “In-N-Out” cashier impression. In fact, Senior Red Team House Manager Jaclyn Holliday shared, “Andi was definitely one of my favorite parts.” Junior Frankie D’Alessandro also nailed it as Mr. Bevins during a classic existential “motivational” Bevins’ speech.

The Gold Team followed with their “Carpool Karaoke” themed skit. They collected various talents along their journey, including junior Maddie Fetter as Mr. Yoon, senior Caroline Dame as Mr. Tice, and junior Emily Garcia as another Mr. Bevins (she really nailed his mannerisms!). With several clever jokes and references to popular culture, they added to the length of their car before finally flipping the pieces over to reveal their team mascot, the Gladiators.

A. Barclay
The Gold Gladiators!
A. Barclay
Junior Emily Garcia gets English teacher, Mr. Bevins’ approval for her impression.

Finally, the Red Team took the stage with their “Real Princesses of Orange County” skit. Team Producers, senior Alyssa Archuleta and junior Caroline Ong, commanded the stage with their performances and eventually showed the transformation of princess into WARRIOR!

A. Barclay
The Red Team takes the stage.

Some of the day’s memorable moments included witnessing the tired captains slumped over at breakfast, exhausted from spending the night in the gym getting ready for their skits, and, of course, seeing the school decorated with posters. Even the bathrooms are covered in red and gold paint swatches, posters, and streamers.

A. Barclay
One of Rosary’s second floor restrooms.
A. Barclay
Red Team Banner.
A. Barclay
Gold Team “Hamilton” themed banner.
A. Barclay
The campus sings with Red and Gold posters!

New math teacher Mrs. Schletewitz says, “I was excited to see what the day was going to be like. Seeing the whole school decked out in Red and Gold, even the bathrooms, was cool. My favorite part were the impersonations of different teachers. That was hilarious and creative. It was fun to see everyone enjoying themselves. This is great school spirit.”

Freshman Bryn Boznanski commented, “It was really exciting to see who else was on my team and see how the next six weeks of the school year are going to be, especially with the older girls mentoring me.”

Freshman Bridget Crowley, who played Boomer Phelps in the ASB skit, added, “Being in the skit was good to get a whole new perspective since I’ve been going to Red and Gold since 6th grade to watch Aidan [her senior sister].” Bridget and Bryn both landed on Gold Choral, and after a meeting with their category, they’re eager to contribute to their team’s hopeful road to victory.

Red and Gold performances take place March 10th and 11th in the Servite Auditorium. To get your tickets, contact Rosary Academy!