Which BookTok books are worth it?

This book has made its way through my family like the plague.

Photo taken from Goodreads

Anna Jordan, Assistant Editor-In-Chief

As someone that spends the vast majority of my free time reading, the highest form of compliment that someone can bestow upon me is asking for a book recommendation; however, thanks to the bully pulpit of the Royal Reporter sitting just centimeters from my fingertips, nothing stands between my book opinions and dozens of eyes. Because I read so much, my TikTok feed is mostly about books, and I always become a little curious when I see several titles over and over again. As an impulsive ‘BookTok’ reader, I’m here today to name just a few of the books I’ve read because of TikTok that I’ve actually enjoyed from several different genres.

– The Thursday Murder Club – Richard Osman
With contemporary fiction on the rise, the premise of a novel is beginning to matter less and less as the format of ‘no plot, just vibes’ becomes more apparent. Though I do enjoy the aforementioned format, I love a book with a kooky premise, and lo and behold, this novel and its sequels possess one of the simplest yet most engaging ones I’ve seen in the past few years. Following a murder-mystery enthusiast club at a retirement community, this novel features the detective work of a few senior citizens in England as they take on their age, family, and a bit of mysterious murder. With excellent prose, unforgettable characters, and earnestness for the ages, this book is heartwarming and certainly worth the read.

– The Love Hypothesis – Ali Hazelwood

I expected nothing from this book and yet I couldn’t put it down. (Photo taken from Walmart.com)

Is this book undeniably corny? Absolutely. Is that what makes it a great time? You bet your bottom dollar. If you even enjoy romance a little bit, you’ll probably have fun with this book about an ambitious chemistry grad student and an antisocial chemistry star falling in love.

– Normal People – Sally Rooney

I still think about this book every day. (Photo taken from Apple Books)

This book created the ‘no plot, just vibes’ genre by featuring a brief anthology of two young, normal people’s interactions over several years as they inexplicably find themselves coming back to each other. It’s gut-wrenching, relatable, and perfect for anyone like me that’s getting ready for college. Be warned that dialogue is not marked by quotation marks, but you get used to it pretty quickly. I was reluctant to like this because of its TikTok fame but believe me, it’s worth a try.

– Six of Crows – Leigh Bardugo

Who doesn’t like a heist novel? Except this one has magic. (Photo taken from Pinterest)

Though this book was written as a spinoff of the author’s “Shadow and Bone” series, I have a quick solution: just skip it! As someone that read the entire series, just read a summary online and then dive right into “Six of Crows” because it’s so much more fun than the books before it. Following a rag-tag ensemble of thieves ready to take on a fantastical heist with danger, romance, and magic, this book will keep you engaged until the last page with its sequel ready to keep the party going. Each member is unique and memorable and the ‘found family’ trope is always endearing to me, so in my mind, there’s no question: read it!

*

I hope my recommendations take you on a literary journey of mystery, romance, contemporary life, and fantasy as you inevitably read each of my listed novels. I have another suggestion for you if you’re not sick of them already: instead of buying these books, try using your local library! That way, if you hate them, you can just return them; but, if you love them like I did, you can buy them later on for a quick reread. The great thing about ‘BookTok’ is that popular books always end up in libraries, so if you’re iffy about trying a book, it’s a great noncommittal way to give them all a shot. Happy reading!