Rosary triathlon gears up for a big race

Christina Vaughan, Staff Writer

For weeks the triathlon team has been preparing for the USAT High School Championship race at the OC Triathlon. This Sunday, Apr. 30, the team will complete a sprint triathlon consisting of a 750 meter swim in the chilly Mission Viejo Lake, a 20 kilometer bike ride, and a 3.1 mile run.

Our team has been preparing with weekly sixteen mile bike rides and two mile runs at Yorba Regional Park. Fortunately, four out of seven members of the triathlon team also participate in the Rosary swim team, helping them stay in tip-top shape for the swim portion of the race. Team member Sophia Long ‘24 shows her enthusiasm for the race, “I am so excited to race this weekend at the OC Tri for the High School State Championships! I’m also a bit nervous because it’s going to be a big race, but I can’t wait to get out there and put all of my training to hard work. I hope our team can show up and secure a victory for Rosary. I love our tri team and the unique sense of family I share with my fellow triathlete sisters!”

Considering that our team is in great shape and six of our seven members will attend this race, it’s the perfect opportunity for the team to bring home a big win for Rosary. Swim and triathlon coach, Adam Harita, agrees, “Leading up to our final race of the school year at the Orange County Triathlon, most of the girls were in good condition from either being on the swim team or club soccer. We augmented that with our weekend bike rides on the Santa Ana River Trail (SART) as well as runs at Yorba Regional Park.”

The Royals are set to swim, bike, and run their way to victory this weekend!