A tribute to Mr. Clough

The+one+and+only+Mr.+Clough%2C+showing+us+his+most+recent+cap+collection.+

The one and only Mr. Clough, showing us his most recent cap collection.

Reagan Beuerlein, Staff Writer and Social Media Director

We all know him. The man. The myth. The legend… Mr. Clough. Head of the math department, Mr. Clough never fails to put a smile on his students’ faces. With his one-in-a-million personality and the best jokes in town, he is a fan favorite. 

I have had the honor of having him as my math teacher twice in my high school years. I was introduced to him my freshman year. Not knowing what to expect coming to Rosary, he welcomed us all with his fun personality. I also have him this year… senior year, and I can say it’s definitely the best way to end my years at the Academy. Some of my favorite catch phrases Mr. Clough says are:

• Get around.
  • Who are you?
  • Where’d you come from?
  • TikTok is ruining your lives.
  • What are you doing stealing the school’s electricity? It’s always the same kids.
  • Put your robots away.
  • Delightful . . . delectable . . . [snaps] deluxe!
  • Take your gizmos and calculadoras out.

And my personal favorite when watching clips with ads…

• Skip. Skip. Skip…

Although I hate to admit it, his teaching and personality actually makes me want to go to math. Not only do I think this way, but many others do as well. 

Senior Kailey Lugo shares, “Mr. Clough just makes me happy. You can tell that he genuinely wants to help his students and watch them succeed. It isn’t always easy to say that about teachers, but it is different for him. I love his jokes and how it puts everyone in a better mood. I will definitely miss my class with him.”

His longtime colleague Ms. Barclay also gives him a rave review: “Mr. Clough is one of the funniest people I know or will ever know. He has the dryest sense of humor, and I wish so much I could be in his math class. I would just write down the funny things he said. I’m not sure how students actually learn any math with the comedy occuring, but I’ve only ever heard the best praise of him as a teacher. I know he’s truly dedicated to this school, and his students are lucky to have him as their math sage.”

Q: Why did you choose to work at Rosary?

A: I have visited public school to public school and was never fully satisfied. When I visited Rosary, it was instantly first class and five stars. Way above the rest. The students are not like the rest, they are wonderful. Especially Red Team Producer Reagan Beuerlein.

Q: What do you like to do in your free time?

A: In my free time I love playing racquetball, I work on my house all the time, and I am back to working on my 1957 chevy and trying to put it back together. I basically live at Home Depot.

Q: Why did you choose to teach math?

A: I have always been naturally good at math and I love the problem solving aspect of the subject. It is like a puzzle you are trying to put together. Even as a little kid, I easily could pick it up. My favorite math class to teach is financial algebra without a doubt. I love teaching my students about life lessons and how to carry them out in the real world.

Q: Why diet coke?

A: Diet coke is just my favorite. While some drink coffee as their caffeine, mine is diet coke. I have my own “diet coke bar” in my pantry to keep me going throughout the day… including ice because ice is the best.

Q: What advice would you give new teachers?

A: Respect the veteran teachers.