Senioritis: NOT for the weak

Emma Silva ’23 demonstrates how she protects her peace, even at school. (Photo credit: Trista Verne ’23)

Trista Verne, Copy Editor

Many college decision letters have graced our emails this past month. While some good and some bad, college decision season has played a detrimental role in the class of 2023’s senioritis.

For those not familiar, senioritis is a term that refers to the dread of going to school during one’s senior year. There are many aspects of everyone’s life that makes this pretend illness worse; however, the idea of moving off to college has a big sway in it.

For example, senior Megan Mendonca explains that due to her college acceptances, she finds it hard to continue the monotonous routine of high school: “I have always had a reputation for not showing up to school anyways so now I feel even less motivated to show up with college decisions coming out. The only thing that really gets me motivated in the morning is an iced coffee but even then, it is usually not enough to get me to school.”

Similar to Megan, I find going to school very difficult these days. I am often tempted to ask my mom for multiple mental health days, which generally consist of five hours on TikTok and binge watching Arrested Development on Netflix. Not sure how much of this is considered a mental health day, but hey, in the words of Emma Silva ’23, I am protecting my peace.

Senioritis=class nap time. (Photo credit: Trista Verne ’23)

Speaking of Emma and protecting one’s peace, Emma also has strong connections to the senioritis disease and gracefully shared her side, “Look. I’ve put in my time. I have reached the stage in my healing journey where my peace just has to come first. They got the best of me for more than three years. It’s time to prioritize and PROTECT my peace. Everyone just needs to understand that my peace comes first, and I won’t be endangering it in these last few months of school.”

Personally, I applaud Emma for her impressive defense tactics against the disruption of her peace. I only hope to protect my peace as well as she does.

As senior year comes to a close, I encourage those with senioritis to make the best of the final couple weeks of high school. After all, you will never be in high school again.