Rosary’s fat dogs

Christina Vaughan, Staff Writer

It’s no secret that Rosary loves animalsall animals including our very furry, but very fat, friends. In the spirit of celebrating Rosary’s fat pets, I found it appropriate to feature a few of Rosary’s fattest dogs…

Since I’m writing about fat dogs, I will not skip the opportunity to brag about my incredibly adorable and almost angelic dog, Bandit. He is a five-year-old Australian shepherd and soft-haired wheaten terrier mix.

Bandit gets offended when we fat-shame him. (Photo credit Tracye Vaughan)

Bandit is allergic to every kind of meat except lamb and pretty much everything else, but somehow he still manages to be overweight. Considering his allergies, the only treats he’s allowed to enjoy is the occasional leftover lamb grease from cooking, collagen treats, carrots, and his favorite: ice cubes. But, my dad likes to spoil him with all kinds of things he’s not allowed to have—though I think a lot of his fat is carryover from when he used to break into our chicken coop and eat the chicken’s food.

Though he used to be naughty when he was younger, nowadays, Bandit is the sweetest and happiest dog ever. He greets me every time I walk through the door and is always so excited to see everyone he comes in contact with. He just loves everyone and loves life.

Next on our fat dog list is Anna ’23 and Charlotte ‘23 Jordan’s twelve-year-old German shepherd lab mix named Moses.

Moses loves just hangin’ out! (Photo provided by Anna Jordan ’23)

Charlotte added that unfortunately he has a “good old-fashioned thyroid disorder that makes him perfectly obese.” Despite his thyroid issue, Charlotte assured that they “do give him the occasional treat or handout, but nothing is capable of making him that voluptuous.”

Much like Bandit, Moses enjoys snacking on ice cubes, carrots, and “pretty much anything edible he can find.” Moses is very loved by his family, and the twins describe Moses as “the sweetest, most pleasant, most docile dog in the whole world. He is just a lovely old man and a perfect little puppy.”

If we’re featuring fat dogs, I must introduce Mr. Bevin’s nine-year-old German shepherd, Shae.

Shae is secretly hoping to snag a bite of Rylee’s food. (Photo provided by Mr. Bevins)

Shae loves to lay around all day and hang out with Mr. Bevin’s daughter, Rylee. According to Mr. Bevins, Shae’s stoutness is not of her own doing: “It’s genetic and definitely not her owner’s fault. She was a forced surrender—her previous owner kept her locked in a cage in a tiny garage, so we think eating is a mechanism to overcome her past trauma. This is what we say as a joke, but actually, we think she has convinced herself every meal might be her last, so she is always scavenging and looking for more food.”

Fortunately, Shae doesn’t have to worry about food anymore. She enjoys many snacks along with her meals and is anything but picky with her treats: “Everything that is not a green vegetable is her favorite treat. She will literally eat just about everything. She also gets extra excited when we make mac and cheese for Rylee because she knows Rylee will drop half of it on the floor.”

Shae’s family loves her very much. Mr. Bevins described her as being “the sweetest, calmest, most docile dog I have ever come across.”

Our next beloved fat dog is freshman Isabella Dedes’ family dog, Rubio.

I don’t know if Rubio necessarily likes walking. (Photo provided by Isabella Dedes ’26)

Rubio is an eight-year-old golden retriever mix. Though he has thinned out some since his picture was taken, Rubio is quite overweight due to some serious spoiling. Rubio only eats human food and doesn’t go on walks very often. Bacon and cheese are among his favorite snacks.

Rubio enjoys just laying around (especially in Isabella’s grandma’s bed), begging for food, and greeting visitors with impromptu dog hugs. All jokes aside, Rubio is a “very nice dog” who loves his owners and just wants to chill out.

Our final and fattest dog is senior Trista Verne’s four-year-old Weimaraner, Jaydee.

Jaydee may be large but but she’s still adorable! (Photo provided by Trista Verne ‘23)

Trista explained how her colossal companion came to be fat: “We also have cats, and she just inhales every bit of food we try to give to the cats. She has eaten an entire pack of Oreos and a bag of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups with the tin foil still on it. She has no mercy when it comes to eating, even if it will kill her.” Jaydee especially enjoys eating pup cups from Starbucks and also indulges in ice cubes here and there.

Jaydee’s reputation as a fat dog precedes her as she “loves to lay around everywhere and just whine about everything.” Though it seems as if Jaydee gets a little moody too, Trista outlined some of the highlights of her relationship with her dog: “She loves running full force at me and putting her entire weight on me, but as soon as I try to hug her, she gets so violently angry and acts like I have been starving her. She never goes on walks because she complains and is afraid of the water because she probably knows she will sink to the bottom if she jumps in. Although she’s huge, she is so scared of little dogs.”

Though Jaydee may have some odd habits and an eating problem, she is still adorable!

It may seem like having a fat dog can be a pain (and believe me, it is), but they also bring just as much joy, love, and mischief as any other dog…they just eat a whole lot more.