What it’s like having a cousin on campus

Little+Andrea+and+Cadiz+vs.+High+School+Andrea+%26+Cadiz%21+%28Photo+provided+by+Cadiz+Salazar+23%29.+

Little Andrea and Cadiz vs. High School Andrea & Cadiz! (Photo provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23).

Cadiz Salazar and Andrea Salazar

“So girls… what will you be writing about this week?” Every Monday, our journalism monarch, Ms. Barclay ’94, asks us this question and sometimes, the answer does not always come so easy. While thinking of what to write, we (Andrea and Cadiz: cousins) looked at each other and realized – why not write about each other!

Having a family member at Rosary is something people can overlook, but for those of us that have family on campus, we think being able to spend these important years together is so special, especially in a community like Rosary. So, we figured we would compare our experiences (Cadiz being a senior and Andrea being a freshman) and understandings of what it feels like to be on campus with a cousin:

Little Andrea and Cadiz painting! (Photo Provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

What it was like entering Rosary with/without a cousin

A: Being a freshman at Rosary Academy without any prior freshman friends, I was petrified to say the least. But luckily for me, even with my lack of knowledge of my class, I did have one friendly smile I could always count on, and that was Cadiz.

C: This was not necessarily the same for me. I came into Rosary not really knowing anyone except for two of my friends. It was definitely scary and new for me, so I feel glad to be able to have given Andrea a sense of ease when coming into this new transition of her life.

Our perspectives of each other before Rosary

A:Now if you know Cadiz, I think you would understand my difficulty in finding the right words to describe her. But for certain (at least from my view), she’s always been positive, stylish, smart, and full of smiles. Cadiz has always been outgoing and artistic. While I had been more hesitant in some situations, Cadiz never failed to pull me out of my comfort zone. Whether it was teaching me how to dance, introducing me to new books and movies, singing karaoke, or riding our bikes together.

C: Growing up, it was always so fun being able to share my passions with Andrea. We share a similar love of reading, and so she would always come over to my house and raid my bookshelf. Being able to show her so many different things has been memorable. She’s always been so sweet, so it’s been fun growing up with a little ‘mini-me!’

Family craziness! (Photo provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

What it’s like getting to finally be together

A: Something that came as a shock once I got my class schedule was that Cadiz and I were going to be sharing a class. As classes began, I didn’t talk to her much but as time progressed we got closer. Thanks to Mrs. Barclay and the entrance essay I wrote, we got to share a class, and I got a broader perspective on my cousin.

C: This isn’t the first time that we’ve attended school together — we spent a majority of elementary and middle school at the same schools. However, now that we are more mature, we’ve been able to talk more deeply and we are able to understand each other’s personalities even more. Also, since I was the first person in my family to go through Rosary, it’s been fun giving her my wise experience and helping her navigate her through the troubles of freshman year.

Moving on a leaving for college

A: It’s weird to think Cadiz is going to college. We always talked about her leaving and traveling really far, but I don’t think I realized it would be so soon. College never seemed as close as it really is, and now I’m just trying to spend as much time with her before she leaves for good. It’s kind of weird to think of family get-togethers or Rosary without her being there.

C: Having grown up with Andrea always around, she’s always been someone I could rely on. We’ve always talked about our futures together, getting excited for what was to come, but now that it’s almost here, I’ve gained a different perspective of it all. This year, and especially this semester, I’ve realized that we need to cherish every journalism class, every family gathering, and every experience to come. I’m so grateful for the memories we’ve made thus far and I will keep them with me as I go onto college. On my college whiteboard, she wrote “Love you, you got this!” It’s little things like that that I’ll miss.

Us taking a selfie! (Photo Provided by Cadiz Salazar ’23)

All in all, having family on campus to cheer you on and accompany you gives a special connection, so cherish the time that you spend together because before you know it, the future will come closer than you expect.