Friars commit to college

Roman+strikes+a+pose+in+his+future+Bruins+baseball+uniform.+

Photo Provided by Roman Martin '23

Roman strikes a pose in his future Bruins baseball uniform.

Daniela Arias, Editor-in-Chief

While the buzz of college acceptances and commitments fills the halls of Rosary, I found myself wondering where many of our Servite brothers have heard back from or committed to.

After some digging, I found and had the opportunity to interview three Servite seniors and learn more about the details of their college commitments.

Tanner McCreary ’23 is among some of the few Servite seniors to make a sport-related college commitment. Aside from sharing that he commited to Pepperdine University for water polo, Tanner also revealed the specific factors that made Pepperdine the perfect match for him: “I plan on majoring in Business and minoring in Sports Exercise or Nutrition. Many factors contributed to me deciding Pepperdine was the right fit for me. Their top 10 Division 1 team with its prestigious coaching staff was the driving factor. I really wanted to attend a school where I can compete with and learn from the best. Aside from sports, the beautiful beach location and campus life made Pepperdine a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I could not pass up.”

Tanner is all smiles at the beach in his Pepperdine apparel. (Photo Provided by Tanner McCreary ’23)

Like Tanner, Servite senior Roman Martin also decided to make a sport-related commitment. Commited to join UCLA’s baseball roster in the fall, Roman described why there’s no place he would rather be than UCLA: “I chose UCLA for a lot of reasons. Being the #1 public school in the nation is great. Also, I wanted to be able to be close to home, so my parents would be able to watch my games. Lastly, the coaches at UCLA have done a great job developing short stops and other players into the major leagues. UCLA’s baseball program is also a top program in the nation, playing against good competition.”

Roman’s teammate, Jonathan Rodriguez ’23, also commited to play college baseball. The future Long Beach State University student disclosed some of the details that led to his commitment: “I am going to major in Business. I committed there because the baseball program is very good at developing players, and the coaching staff is great at what they do. They are also a big time program in California and even across the country.”

Jonathan snaps a picture in his soon-to-be CSULB uniform. (Photo Provided by Jonathan Rodriguez ’23)

While we congratulate many senior Royals on their acceptances and commitments, let’s not forget to also commend the many Servite seniors—like Tanner, Roman, and Jonathan—that have also taken a big step towards their futures! If you’re still unaware of the many Rosary seniors who have already commited to colleges, go read Allison Lillestol’s ’23 article to find out more: https://royalreporter.org/33620/showcase/royals-committed-to-college/