Rosary’s esteemed baker: Mr. Lyon’s

This+is+an+angel+food+ice+cream+cake+I+made+for+my+Mother-in-laws+90th+birthday+this+year+%28Photo+Provided+by+Mr.+Lyons%29.+

“This is an angel food ice cream cake I made for my Mother-in-laws 90th birthday this year” (Photo Provided by Mr. Lyons).

Cadiz Salazar, Supervising Editor

Many of our beloved Rosary teachers have quirks of their own: Sra. Kam loves hiking, Mr. Guerrero loves true crime, Ms. Barclay ’94 loves simply being iconic, the list goes on. But there’s one teacher that brings his hobby to the classroom — Mr. Lyons! Mr. Lyons is infamous for bringing tasty baked goods for his classes.

This year is my first year with Mr. Lyons in AP Computer Science, and I have had the pleasure of trying some of his delicious treats. He even decided to bake us deserts after taking our first test of the year! I had the please in being able to ask Mr. Lyons a little more about his deserts:

“These are mint brownies I made for a group before the Christmas break” (Photo Provided by Mr. Lyons).

For how long have you been baking?

I’ve been baking probably since I was in high school.

What made you interested baking?

Well, my mom was a Home EC major and so she did a lot of scratch baking. Also, sadly, I really really like deserts!

What is your favorite thing to bake? 

I don’t know if I have a single favorite thing to bake. If I had to pick, it would probably bar cookies in general. Things like brownies.

What is your main source of inspiration for your deserts? 

When I was in college, I talked to a lot of my relatives and collected a lot of their recipes. I’ll also go read a book or just use Pinterest like everyone else.

Have you taught the baking classes at Rosary? 

Yes, I have! I’ve been teaching it for about three years. Oh, I also donate pies to Red, Wine, and Gold every year, so you’re parents can bid on my deserts!

Sabrina Piazza ’23, my AP Computer Science confidant, mentioned, “His baked goods are like something you eat by a fire reading a good book. They are not only delicious but also comforting after a long day of school!”

My personal favorite desert that I have tried has been the mint brownies that he made a couple of weeks ago! Be sure to ask your parents to bid on Mr. Lyons’ pies during Red, Wine, and Gold this year; they’re a treat you most definetly won’t want to miss out on!