Celebrating our patroness, Mother Mary and the awarding of the Christina Burmeister Scholarship

Charlotte Jordan

Charlotte Jordan ’23 smiling with her twin sister, Anna Jordan ’23 and their mother along side Dr. Pautsch and Elizabeth Burmeister ’92.

Sydney Rosario, Staff Writer

On Thursday, Dec. 8, we celebrated Mother Mary at the mass of the Immaculate Conception.

Many may think the Immaculate Conception refers to Jesus being conceived; however, this Holy Day of Obligation highlights Mary’s conception, when she was born without sin. With Mother Mary as our patroness, we honor and strive to live like her, saying “yes” to any challenge we meet and letting God’s will be done.

Ava Fishman ’24 giving a big hug to her sisters during the Sign of Peace. (Photo Credit: Rosary Instagram)

Along with the whole student body, we were accompanied with the Golden Jubilee Royals, Rosary Alumnae from the class of 1970-1972, and the previous Sisters of St. Joseph, who helped shape Rosary into the amazing school it is today. We honored Our Lady and listened to Fr. Ian’s beautiful Homily. Julianna Ortiz ’23 notes, “Fr. Ian’s Homily, well, the whole mass, actually, was beautiful. It reminded me of what Rosary is all about: sisterhood, community, and faith.” I could not have agreed more with Julianna.

Fr. Ian lighting the Advent Candle before Mass. (Photo Credit: Rosary Instagram)

In addition to celebrating Mary’s Feast Day, a very deserving senior was awarded the Christina Burmeister AwardCharlotte Jordan ’23!

Elizabeth Burmeister ’92, sister of Christina Burmeister, mentioned a part of Charlotte’s essay application emphasizing Charlotte’s similarity to Christina: their love of journalism and the Royal Reporter and the cherished memories made at Rosary.

Charlotte expressed, “I am incredibly honored to have received this award! Writing and journalism are such a huge part of my life, and, as one of four sisters, being connected to a legacy of sisterhood and family means so much to me.”

Ms. Barclay ’94, the teacher of Rosary’s journalism class and adviser of the Royal Reporter, expressed how proud she is of Charlotte: “She is one of the strongest writers to come through this school. I am so happy she took journalism this year and got to develop a lighter side to her writing. Seeing her win such a prestigious award is one of the highlights of my teaching career.”

Rosary’s unique community of sisterhood fosters confidence within each student while making faith a priority through serving the dear neighbor. This aspect of Rosary has remained a constant through all these years. I am sure the Royal community will continue to flourish and help many young women find their voice, make lifelong friendships, and have unique memories.

All in all, the celebration of Mary was a huge success!