Servite Christmas concert

The students crowded together singing their final song. (Photo Credit: Kathleen Martinez)

Kathleen Martinez, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, Dec. 6, Servite held its annual Christmas concert at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. The concert showcased both the select and regular choirs’ singing abilities while performing various Christmas songs. The show featured individual solos, raps, group performances, and a few Rosary guest stars.

The show started with all the choirs singing a rendition of “Christmas Eve in Sarajevo” sung by all choirs. Later, juniors Luke Greenlee and Sage Baumgartner performed a duet to “Light of the World”. Angelina Sances 23′ said, “Their voices complimented each other in an angelic way. I felt chills hearing them sing.”

Later, senior Isaac Sanchez performed a solo of the Spanish version of “White Christmas” called “Blanca Navidad.” Isaac spoke about his on-stage performance: “I was super nervous, jittery, and anxious, but once I started singing, it kind of just happened by itself. The music just took over.”

Isaac Sanchez breaks out of his shell to sing “Blanca Navidad.” (Photo Credit: Kathleen Martinez)

Throughout the night, the select choir performed many songs. Select choir is a small group of selected students who have taken men’s choir before. Member Diego Gutierrez 23′, said, “I feel great about being in the select choir, and it’s shaped who I am today. It helped me with my confidence, without choir I never would’ve known I had the ability to sing. ”

The show had funny moments, especially during the select choirs’ 12 Days of Christmas performance. The choir pretended to sing the wrong lyrics with half the group saying the correct version and the other half botching it. Finally, the audience laughed when Zigmond Berridge 23′ stepped into the spotlight singing to the tune of the popular Toto song “Africa.”

Photo of Zigmond Berridge stealing the show with the Christmas version of “Africa”. (Photo Credit: Kathleen Martinez)

Later, Bridgette Sanders 23′ sang “12 Days After Christmas” which is a funny and off-putting rendition of the 12 Days of Christmas. When asked about how she became a part of the show, she said, “I had always been close to their choir director, so when she asked me to join I said yes right away. I practiced with her about a month before and was able to make the performance. ”

Then, Bridgette spoke about her experience backstage: “It was definitely an experience seeing the Servite boys backstage and in the wings of the theater. I got to see them mess around and meet a bunch of new people. It was nice because they were very welcoming.”

Next, the showcase highlighted the unique mixture of athletic groups involved in choir including baseball, aquatics, basketball, and Thespians. Each group had its own songs to sing, but their matching outfits were truly show stopping. The baseball team showed up in black tank tops with  red and black patterned Christmas pants and their favorite hats. The water polo and swim teams were stunners in their Christmas sweaters, and the football team pulled up in matching funny Christmas shirts. The thespians also wore cute and comfortable Christmas sweaters.

The baseball team in their black tank tops and matching pajama pants. (Photo Credit: Kathleen Martinez)

The teams delighted the audience with their fancy raps and songs, especially with the beautifully choreographed dance moves and poses. Taylor Gomez 23′ said, “The baseball team’s performance was my favorite because the rap was so funny. I also enjoyed the football team singing Justin Bieber’s Mistletoe because they really got into it. But the thespians had incredible voices.”

Finally, the show wrapped up with the songs “Joy to the World” and “Joyful Joyful” in many languages including sign language, Tagalog, Spanish, and English. At the end of the show, the boys all huddled up together as fake snow fell onto the audience. This performance is not the last the choir will perform again in the spring, so don’t miss out. Come support our Servite brothers and all the brave performers at future concerts.