Rosary freshman celebrate Title IV

Rosary freshman celebrate Title IV

Christina Vaughan, Staff Writer

This week, freshmen at Rosary have celebrated Title IV with a Women in Sports Project in Health and Wellness class. We have learned what Title IV is, why it’s important, how it affects our lives, and how it affects the lives of some of the best female athletes in the world.

The project encompassed a three-paragraph essay about a female athlete of our choice. The essay needed to include why we chose the athlete, a quick biography of the athlete, the impact she had on her sport, what we learned about the athlete, and how Title IV has personally impacted our own lives. We also made a picture collage of our athlete’s career accomplishments.

If you don’t know what Title IV is, it’s legislation stating, “No person in the United States shall on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving financial assistance.” Title IV says that women cannot, on the basis of sex, be excluded from sports’ teams or educational opportunities because of their athletic ability

Title IV has allowed for female club and professional sports to flourish, and has provided women with the opportunity to receive athletic scholarships. Freshman soccer-player and triathlete Micheala Watson reflects on how Title IV has impacted female sports and her own life, sharing, “Title IV has given me the ability to play competitive soccer and has provided me with equal opportunities to use my athletic abilities towards my education.”

In addition to teaching us about Title IV, Mrs. Simonton, head tennis-coach and Kinesiology Department Chair, is very involved in educating herself about Title IV’s impacts as well. She will be attending an online conference on Nov. 29, held by the Women’s Sports Foundation. The Women’s Sports Foundation is a charity founded by Billie Jean King with a purpose of supporting female athletes.

Coach Simonton celebrating a win with Rosary’s tennis team. (Photo provided by Mrs. Simonton)

Mrs. Simonton is eager for the conference: “As a past Division one and professional athlete, it’s important for me to continue to support young female athletes. The town hall will celebrate the 50th anniversary of Title IV and recognize the future it is creating for female athletes. The conference will also allow us to have an important discussion about coaching and teaching opportunities in female sports.”

Check the Rosary Instagram in two weeks to see the freshmen’s final projects!