Native American Heritage Month

November is the month to celebrate Native American heritage!

Photo taken from Google via Creative Commons License

Allison Lillestol, Copy-Editor

The month of November is known for getting ready for the holidays and lots of time off from school; however, it is also Native American Heritage Month! 

The purpose of the month is to honor the history of Native Americans and shine a light on their large contribution to the early days of America.

Native American Heritage Month became nationally recognized in 1990 when President George H. W Bush signed it into law. 

History teacher Mrs. Jenkins shares why she believes this month is important: “Native American History IS American History. It is important that students understand the complexities of the entire realm of American History and have an appreciation for the accomplishments and struggles of the variety of peoples that make up the nation.”

There are many ways to celebrate this month:

Online only, the Autry Museum of the American West is featuring an exhibit displaying Native American Art and Activism found all over California. Make sure to check it out! https://theautry.org/exhibitions/when-i-remember-i-see-red 

If you want to take a trip outdoors, visit Chumash Painted Cave State Historic Park in Santa Barbara, California. It is a small sandstone cave that holds art from the Chumash People (a Native American tribe known throughout central and southern California) dating back to the 1600s. 

This is the perfect month to immerse yourself in Native American heritage!