Midterms 2022

Always Vote! (Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License)

Brynn Beauchamp, Staff Writer

If you have been paying attention lately, you might have noticed a pretty big event occurred yesterday. Midterm elections for 2022 have concluded, and though a majority of Rosary students aren’t eligible to vote quite yet, this day is still extremely important for every American citizen.

By living in America, we are presented with the constitutional privilege as well as the civil duty to vote in every election. Ms. Dann explained, “I think it is crucial to exercise our right and privilege to vote as American citizens.” Our votes enable us to pick the leaders that we feel will holistically represent and fight for the needs and wants of our communities. These votes can help pass legislation, change laws, and even help the efforts of creating effective change and equality within our society.

Most people don’t understand or recognize that an overwhelming amount of legislation in the United States is passed at the state level. Therefore, our ability to cast votes which can directly affect our everyday lives during elections is large. Even if you don’t think your vote on that random proposition matters, understand that those are often state level propositions, which means the effectiveness of your vote is actually amplified! Electing proper leaders is a massive part of why midterms are so important, since these are the people who will become responsible for voicing our opinions to other members and even to other branches of the American government.

Exercise your constitutional rights by voting in every election! (Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License)

However, don’t be fooled into thinking that midterms are all about electing hundreds of leaders and passing a bunch of laws. Midterm elections are crucial because they provide us with the opportunity to display a national rating on the government’s efficiency. Our votes can communicate how well we think our local representatives, district representatives, congress members,  senate members, and even how our presidents are performing at their jobs.

If you are unhappy with an elected official in your area, the best way to display your opinion is by getting yourself to the polls. Mrs. Jenkins added, “Midterms are important because congressional seats can be just as powerful as the Executive Branch.”

Now, since many of us aren’t eligible to vote quite yet, you are probably thinking today isn’t all that important. That is completely false. Here are some things you can do starting today in order to stay up to date on the current midterms and all elections to come.

EDUCATION

This may seem obvious, but the most important thing you can do as a citizen of the United States is educate yourself on the issues prevalent in our country. Stay informed on local legislature, do research on candidates, and pay attention in that history class! Even though you can’t submit a vote, be sure to take a look at your parent’s voting guides and even accompany them to the polls if possible. These are both great ways to become comfortable with the voting system as a minor! Being an informed voter is powerful, but it requires you to do the work to become aware now. The only way we can change the course of the future is by analyzing the present and the past.

CHECK YOUR NEWS PROVIDERS

During elections, the polls close across the country at different times, so please be aware of the area you are in, and know when your polls will close. California polls usually close around 8 p.m., so make sure you’ve voted or dropped off your ballot beforehand if you’re eighteen, and always inquire to see if your parents have submitted their ballots as well. Since the election was yesterday, many news stations are covering counts and recounts, so tune into your trusted news sources for the latest updates on all the results and tightest races. But for future elections, news channels tend to cover the election data and statistics beginning the morning of.

PRE-REGISTER TO VOTE NOW!

This goes for everyone, but to all my juniors, seniors, and even some sophomores reading this… are you pre-registered to vote? If you are over the age of 16, you are now eligible for voting registration in the state of California. This ensures that you will receive a ballot in the mail when you are of age, or that your name will be added to the voters list at your local polling location. We will all be eighteen by the time the next federal level election rolls around, so make sure you have talked to your parents about becoming pre-registered today!

For California Voting Pre-Registration visit: https://registertovote.ca.gov/

Make sure you get registered to vote today! (Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License)

Midterms are so important to our country, so make sure you are doing all that you can to exercise your rights as a citizen of this country. Even though the majority of us are still minors, elections remain crucial to our futures. Continue to stay educated, become aware, and bring awareness to your communities. Remember our votes always matter!