What I wish I knew about this time senior year

Photo provided by Layla Valenzuela

The submission page is very underwhelming for all the hard work seniors put into their applications.

Kendall Clarida, Supervising Editor

Since freshman year, I have been warned that college applications are no joke. I’ve been told to start early and spread out my workload. Did I do any of those things? Of course not. For any freshmen, sophomores, or juniors, here are some things I wish I knew about this time of senior year.

1. Start your applications early

When people tell you this they are not kidding. I was told to start researching colleges and brainstorming ideas for my personal statement the summer going into my junior year. However, as Early Action and Early Decision deadlines quickly approached, I felt like I couldn’t keep track of all the supplements and Common Apps I had to submit. If I had listened to everyone who told me not to procrastinate on college applications I wouldn’t have had multiple breakdowns during Halloween weekend.

College applications are proving to be a lot for seniors. (Photo Credit: Kendall Clarida)

Layla Valenzuela ’23 emphasizes the importance of starting early: “I would say to begin sooner than later. The school year really picks up in the fall season and it becomes difficult to find time for college apps. Have your personal statement completed going into the summer before your senior year and begin filling our your basic Common App information as soon as possible. Most importantly, remember that you ARE enough for colleges. Don’t stress about the things out of your control, you will end up exactly where you belong.”

2. You will write many personal statements

At least for me, writing a personal statement was required in my English class junior year. Was that essay anything I could even consider submitting to colleges? Probably not. It was a great way to get feedback from my teacher about the direction I should go in for my essay, but the first essay is pretty much never the final essay. Just be prepared to write two, maybe even three, personal statements. Writing multiple doesn’t mean you’re a bad writer or don’t have good ideas; you want to make sure you’re submitting your best possible work while also presenting an idea that encompasses who you are as a student and person.

Chloe McNamara ’23 perfectly understands the struggle of writing multiple essays: I had to write about three different essays before I found the right one because a personal statement should be exactly that, personal. It should mean something to you; it might take 20 edits to get it right—but that’s ok. You want to present the most real and authentic version of you to colleges.”

3. Have at least five colleges you actually want to go to

I was very focused on Halloween trying to submit my Early Actions applications. (Photo Credit: Kendall Clarida)

Don’t just focus on one or two colleges you are set on going to. In the case that you don’t get into your number one pick, you want to make sure you have other colleges you’ll be excited about attending. This will require research, and you’ll want to look into things like major availability, location, academics, etc. It will make you that much more excited for college if you have multiple schools you’d look forward to attending on your list.

4. Go to the counselors

Starting as early as junior year, going to the counselors to discuss your college plans is super helpful. They can walk you through the process, help you research schools that will be the best fit for you, and tell you where you should start in your application. Senior Maya Davis gives great advice: “Start early Juniors! You will regret it if you don’t. Go into the counselors, especially Mrs. Lee.” The counselors are there to help you. 

College applications can be a lot, but if you space out the workload, go to your counselors, and find colleges you really want to go to, the process will be that much easier. Be smarter than me, and please at least consider taking my advice. It’ll help you in the long run.