Dear Rosary Day

Brynn Beauchamp, Staff Writer

When I was thinking about the millions of ways I could write an article about Rosary Day, my instincts told me to tell a funny story on how my friends and I almost died on Splash Mountain. I could also talk about all the amazing things we ate throughout the day and review every ride we went on; however, as a senior, my heart feels that my last Rosary Day deserves something more than a comedic article.

The Juniors from the class of 2023 take on Pirates of the Caribbean after their Rosary Day (Photo provided by: Tori Gomez ’23)

Rosary Day will forever be one of my favorite memories of my time at Rosary. However, this is not in the aspect of having an excuse to go to Disney. While Disneyland is fun and makes the whole day much more exciting, living in Southern California is enough of an excuse to go blow my money on amazing churros. Every October, my heart is completely stolen and enriched by the tradition of Rosary Day and all it stands for within our community.

As a freshman, I watched my own junior big sister step into her role as an upperclasswomen. I got to see the transformation of the junior class as they embraced the new levels of character and maturity now expected of them. I was welcomed into the community and witnessed the amounts of love that enveloped the junior class every October. I was eager for it to be my turn so I could feel apart of the tradition as well.

Then COVID hit, and unfortunately for the Junior Sharks, their Rosary Day was a small and intimate ceremony that only included the students of their class and some parents. However, knowing it would be my turn in one short year, I watched the livestream to feel somewhat a part of the festivities.

I blinked my eyes and suddenly I was waking up to a rainy day in October. I nicely curled my hair and did my makeup in the pale yellow light of my bedside lamp. I slipped on the dress I had spent about a year finding and grabbed my Disney bag. I arrived at school to a freezing morning accompanied by a slight drizzle. Although the ceremony was still intended to be held outside, at the last moment, my Rosary Day ceremony was adjusted to be held indoors. I received my class ring alongside my dino sisters and spent the day celebrating with my best friends at Disneyland. Despite the whole pouring rain disappointment thing, I can proudly say it was truly the second best day of my high school experience (my win as a Gold Team Popstar is first of course).

Seniors pose for a picture during their final Rosary Day. (Photo credit: Isabel Solorio ’23)

Now Rosary Day 2022 has passed. As I ran through the extremely dysfunctional flow of traffic on Main Street at 11:00 p.m. praying I would meet my curfew at home, I felt the sadness and the tears start to kick in. My friends and I embraced each other with the tightest hugs. This was the first of the lasts. After a few days of reflection, I have recognized that I feel like a part of myself was left at Rosary Day this year.

A large part of who I’ve become today comes from the values we are taught on Rosary Day every year. I can assure you that the amount of growth I have seen in myself over these last four years is largely due to lessons instilled in me during the preparation for this momentous day. Because of Rosary Day, I feel ready to take on the world as a woman of high moral character and value. Because of Rosary Day, I have developed into a strong and independent leader who seeks to serve others. Because of Rosary Day, I have embraced my role as a sister, not only to my school sisters or my brothers, but to all the people I love and care for.

Rosary Day is so much more than a tradition to me—it is a part of who I am. I know I am ready to go out into the world and serve others with joy from my heart. I understand what it means to be a sister to all, and the love it takes to build sisterhood in my life. I am forever grateful for the lessons these days have instilled in me, and I couldn’t express how much this tradition means to me. I have made the best friends, had the best days, and experienced the best moments that are now lifelong memories.

Isabel Solorio, Tori Gomez, Brynn Beauchamp, and Esther Solorio take a picture in front of the Disney pumpkin before leaving the park (Photo credit: Milan DiConti)

So, to all of my underclasswomen reading this, you will never understand all that Rosary Day has cultivated in you until it is gone. Don’t roll your eyes at me and tell yourself you hear this all the time, but enjoy every day, live out every moment, and be thankful for every second of your own journey. I promise, even if you don’t understand it now, you will develop in your own time. Rosary Day is significant of YOUR own journey, a milestone of achievement within your high school experience. Rosary Day perfectly encapsulates the spirit of Rosary and all that we stand for within our school.

It is hard to believe this is just the start of the hardest goodbyes to come this year. I am forever thankful for Rosary Day. Thank you for tradition, thank you for the experience, and thank you for the joy you brought me and many others over the years.

Love,

A grateful senior.