A game in the rain

Seniors Francesca McGuire, Amber Lizardi, Emma Oskorus , Colleen Schmitt, Ava Bernard ’24, and McKinley Fregoso ’24 all soaked and bundled up, cheering on their brothers in the stands. (Photo Credit: Reagan Beuerlein)

Reagan Beuerlein, Staff Writer

On Friday, Sept. 9, 2022, the Servite Friars played Los Alamitos High School in a preseason football game. It was by far the most fun I have ever had at a football game.

The past couple of weeks, we have been going through a brutal heat wave and then out of nowhere, rain was in the forecast! Rain here in Southern California is unheard of. The vibes were joyful all around the stadium, and if you were to ignore the scoreboard, you would think we were winning instead of losing by 33.

The Rosary Dance and Cheer Team making the most out of their night cheering in the rain.
(Photo Credit: Reagan Beuerlein)

The dance and cheer team got all dressed up by curling their hair and putting on makeup only for it to simply come off. But they did not care because they actually enjoyed being soaked while cheering on our brother school. Rosary Dance Team star Jada Alexis ’23 said, “Although it wasn’t our ideal Friday night game, it was one I will never forget. Oddly, the rain brought the team even closer together because we were able to let loose and have more fun than normal. We were dancing in the rain and cheering on our team with our best friends and sisters. These are memories that will easily, last a lifetime”

Junior Leah Gimenez attended the game and had only positive things to say about it. She said, “It was awesome being all soaked in Long Beach losing because when all is bad, you have nothing to lose. So, I had the best time with my friends cheering at every. single. play. I also was trying to see the negatives and turn them into positives very easily. Here is an example… I will forever remember my drenched sweatshirt and soggy jeans that took me forever to take off when I got home because it was all worth the memories that came along with it.”

Servite Senior Evan Ursua leading his soaked and drenched brothers in the Asylum. (Photo Credit: Reagan Beuerlein)

Servite Asylum Leader Evan Ursua ‘23 added, “I will forever remember this game because we were overall just having fun and representing our country in red, white, and blue. I also thought the music we were playing on the speakers was way better because we were in the rain.”

I think it is fair to say that this game will forever be remembered in the Rosary and Servite community. High School is a period of time that everyone looks back on, and this is one of the many reasons why.