The Halloween season starts in September. Deal with it.

Pumpkin carving is a staple of Halloween and embodies the perfect fall spirit. (Photo taken via Creative Commons)

Layla Langrell, Staff Writer

It is no secret that Halloween is the best holiday. The only things that keep me going are Halloween costumes, carving pumpkins, and watching fall movies. The air during October has the most perfect energy. Honestly, there is no need for September. There are no fun holidays, and it just prolongs my need for October. If it was up to me, Halloween would start in September. 

There are just too many Halloween and fall activities, and they cannot all be done in one month. I need to carve pumpkins, make pumpkin pie, go trick-or-treating, watching fall movies, and try every single pumpkin-spiced-flavored thing that exists, and that huge feat cannot all be done in just four short weeks. If September was eliminated from the calendar year and October was made extra long, more companies would produce pumpkin spice flavors; therefore, I would be way happier. I asked Reagan Beuerlein ’23 for her take on pumpkin spice, and she said, “The feeling you get from the first sip of a pumpkin spiced drink transports you to another world filled with fall vibes and it makes me extremely happy.” 

These are the best cookies on the planet. I must have them at all times from Sept. 1-Oct. 31. (Photo taken via Creative Commons)

Every year, I patiently wait for October to come because my favorite thing ever is dressing up for Halloween. I absolutely adore getting to wear a fun costume and hanging out with friends.  Julianna Ortiz ’23 says, “For me, the Halloween season began last school year when I got Harryween pit tickets. I am going to a Harry Styles concert on Halloween this year so I have been planning my costume for months. I plan to go as the Black Swan, which is my favorite movie. This costume is going to be so intricate and detailed that I couldn’t wait until the last minute to start.”

Personally, I want to be able to plan my costume in September without being judged. I want to be able to ask someone what they are wearing and for them to know. I think everyone at Rosary should be mandated to wear Halloween attire for at least two months. Whether that be cute pumpkin socks to wearing a full-on costume, I think we should encourage this. It would bring the fall spirit to campus and, in return, would make the study body way happier.

September not existing would fix all of the weather issues, too. If Halloween season started sooner, it would automatically have to be cool outside and turn the leaves orange. That is the law of the land —when fall comes around, the weather must be good. I really do not see any reason why we cannot start the Halloween season sooner: there are just so many benefits as to why we should just declare Halloween in September.