“Into the Woods” on Broadway

The+cast+taking+their+final+bows.+

Photo Credit: Cadiz Salazar

The cast taking their final bows.

Cadiz Salazar, Supervising Editor

For as long as I can remember, I had ‘wished, more than anything’ to have the opportunity of experiencing the sensations of Broadway. As a kid who grew up with a true love for musical theater, going to New York for the first time and being able to see the bright lights of Broadway for myself was always at the top of my bucket list. 

Back in May, as I was mindlessly scrolling through TikTok, the multitude of musical theater videos that have been exceedingly ingrained into my ForYou page led me to a particular video. I saw that there would be a new, two-week long run of “Into the Woods” with the most star-studded cast I had seen in a very long time. Neil Patrick Harris, Sara Bareilles, and Gavin Creel (who in non-musical theater terms are absolute Broadway icons) were just a few of the actors in this amazing cast. “Into the Woods” is one of my favorite musicals, and a part of me was sad in knowing that it would end so quickly.

Little did I know, just a couple months later, I would be able to experience this cast. The production soon became prolonged to run for the rest of the summer when I would be in NYC for three weeks. I was so incredibly excited. 

The reason why this show means so much to me because of the personal attachment I have with it. When I was 10-years-old, I played the role of the Baker’s Wife in my middle school’s incredibly mediocre production of “Into the Woods.” But while it may have been your average, run-of-the-mill middle school production, to little me, it was so much more than that. It introduced me to characters, songs, and experiences that would shape my life and passions. The role and the character of the Baker’s Wife became very dear to me.

10-year old me playing the Bakers Wife! (Photo Credit: Cadiz Salazar ’23)

So when I heard that Sara Bareilles (eight time Grammy nominee, two time Tony winner, and simply the coolest person to ever exist) was playing the Baker’s Wife, I was beyond ecstatic. 

Now, let’s get to the performance itself. Ah, where do I even begin? 

I will say that I walked into it not really knowing what to expect. Of course, I understood the premise of the story since I had watched the movie (you are not allowed to say you don’t like “Into the Woods” if you’ve only seen the movie, by the way), but the interpretation that this production decided to go with by not utilizing a set and making it more of a ‘concert’ version was definitely something new to me; however, I was so pleasantly surprised. 

The casting, while not exactly the same as the two-week production in May, was perfect. Sara Bareilles had continued on but other actors like Phillipa Soo (“Hamilton” Original Cast), Joshua Henry (“Carousel, 2019 Revival”), Julia Lester (“High School Musical: The Musical, The Series”), Patina Miller (“Sister Act” Original cast), and so many more were now included. There was only one understudy that day, yet his performance was superb and I would not have noticed otherwise. Not a single person in the cast fell short. 

The chemistry between Sara Bareilles and Brian D’Arcy James (Baker and Baker’s Wife) was so beautiful, and the way their characters grew with each other throughout the show was so natural and pure. They built more comedic relief amongst each other and created such a compelling relationship to watch on stage. 

Phillipa Soo had the voice of an angel, sounding completely identical to every cast recording she has sung for. She added more of a comedic element to Cinderella, making her character less of a ‘mistress in need’ and creating a stronger female figure. 

Julia Lester (Little Red Riding Hood) absolutely sold her role. She illuminated the stage every time she appeared, and her comedic timing was truly one of the highlights of the show. None of us could have ever guessed that this was her Broadway debut! 

Patina Miller (the witch) was able to fully capture the audience whenever she performed. From her raps to her complete power ballad, her voice had the ability to move every person in the theater. 

The character I would quite honestly least expect to steal my heart, Milky White. The puppeteer was able to maneuver him and create expressions that I would never think possible for a cow puppet. Everyone’s heart melted any time Milky White was on stage. 

Layla Valenzuela ’23 mentioned, “‘Into the Woods’ is one of my favorite musicals of all time. The envy I felt when I heard that Cadiz Salazar would see this legendary production is indescribable.”

All in all, I have complete confidence in saying that this is one of the best productions I have ever seen. The creative use of props, the comedic take on the script, the vocals, the costumes — essentially everything was perfect about this show. I am so grateful to have experienced this production and see the true essence of Broadway. The artistry and skill I was able to watch in the course of three hours made my theater heart beam. ‘I hate to leave, I had to though’ was exactly how I felt while leaving the Martin Beck Theater. 

Me in Times Square the same night I watched “Into the Woods”! (Photo Credit: Cadiz Salazar ’23)