Introducing Ms. Berry

Our new teacher, Ms. Berry, is a proud Titan! (Photo provided by Ms. Berry)

Trista Verne, Copy Editor

A brand new school year has begun at Rosary Academy! This new school year is full of many new faces, including faculty members. Rosary Academy is happy to welcome our newest AP Environmental Science and Oceanography teacher, Ms. Berry ’10! I had the pleasure of interviewing Ms. Berry about her past as a Rosary Royal, her passion for science, and her favorite things to do on the weekends.

Q: What do you remember most about being a student at Rosary Academy?

A: Some of my fondest memories of Rosary Academy are associated with Red and Gold.  I enjoyed being able to interact with my classmates and girls in other grade levels in a fun a laid-back atmosphere.  It was a great break from class just to be able to have some fun!  I also assisted in planning Rosary Day my junior year.  I liked being able to make this day special for my friends and classmates.  It was a great memory receiving my class ring and officially becoming an upper class woman, and of course, seeing all my friends at Disneyland after!

Q: What are you most excited for during this school year?

A: I am very excited to be back on Rosary’s campus.  It has been fun reconnecting with faculty and teachers that I took classes with.  I am excited to see my freshmen experience Red and Gold for the first time.  I am also excited to see my juniors receive their class rings.  These were two big and exciting milestones for me as a student, so I am looking forward to sharing these experiences with them too.  Yes, it will be in a different way, but I am still excited!

Q: How did you discover your passion for teaching and what attracted you to the science field?

A: I discovered my curiosity for science, specifically biology, while a student at Rosary.  I liked that my science teacher was able to share real-world examples from their experiences into the lessons.  I took biology courses in college just to see if I really liked the major before I declared biology as my major.  In those introductory courses, my professors told stories of their adventures as field biologists and again, I fell in love with how they described these experiences.  They just made it all sound so fun!

I became interested in teaching while in graduate school.  I enjoyed performing my field research and I like to bring that into my teaching today. Whenever possible, I like to make things relatable to my students, even if it’s through a fun story or experience I’ve had. I hope to bring science to life for my students like my professors and teachers have done for me.

Q: What did you study in college and why did this interest you?

A: I have a Bachelor of Science in Biological Science with a concentration in Marine Biology and a minor in Chemistry.  I also have a Masters in Biological Science.  I became interested in biology because of the field research.  I love being outside and interacting with the environment, both the animals and plants.  I am very passionate about conservation, especially when it comes to small mammals.  As an undergraduate, I did field research with Desert Cottontails to understand their activity after a fire.  As a graduate student, I did field research with Kangaroo Rats to understand how artificial light pollution is affecting their activity and foraging behavior.

Ms. Berry shows off her love for Kangaroo Rats during her field research. (Photo provided by Ms. Berry)

Q: What are some things you like to do in your free time or on the weekends?

A: In my free time I like to be outside enjoying nature.  I enjoy going on hikes, going to the beach and exploring the tidepools, and spending time with my family.

The Rosary community is incredibly excited to have Ms. Berry as a part of our family. If you see Ms. Berry in the halls, don’t be shy to stop and say hello!