“folklore” vs. “evermore”

Photo via Google.

Taylor Swift’s fabulous sister albums “folklore” on the left and “evermore” on the right.

Kendall Clarida, Supervising Editor

Taylor Swift continues to amaze and inspire fans with new music. Every album she creates is exciting and embraces a unique style and story. She continues to be an icon in the music world, exploring genres from country to pop and leaving fans shocked and anxiously waiting for more.

Swift shocked fans in 2020 when she released not one, but two albums within less than five months of each other. With the close releases of the sister albums “folklore” and “evermore,” came a feud among Swifties about which indie-folk album was their favorite.

During my time at Rosary, I’ve noticed that students have strong opinions on their favorite sister album. So, I decided to interview a couple of Royals and discover their take as well as why they feel so strongly about their choice.

Charlotte Jordan ’23 is a loyal Taylor Swift fan and said, “I’ve been listening to Taylor Swift for forever, and I’m proud to say she was my first real concert (I went to the 1989 tour when I was like seven). I love both albums, but my favorite of all Taylor’s albums is ‘evermore’ because I love the overall story it tells, the songs on it are elite, and the overall vibe is fantastic and comforting.”

Anna Jordan ’23 had a simple take on which album she prefers: “Both are such beautiful albums with excellent storytelling, but I’ve always identified a little more with ‘folklore.’ It’s so vulnerable and personal that I feel like I can see myself in any of the songs. ‘Evermore’ is still utterly fantastic, I just can’t relate as much.”

Emma Silva ’23, who is known for her love for both Harry Styles and Taylor Swift, explained her love for “folklore:” “I love ‘evermore’ dearly, but my heart lies with ‘folklore.’ I was absolutely freaking out when Taylor surprised us with it. It is some of the best melodic and lyric work of her career. I’ve loved her since her country days. Her CDs were the only ones in my mom’s car growing up. I’ve seen her three times, and I was supposed to see her again but Covid struck. ‘Folklore’ is like listening to romantic-era poetry. She is truly the music industry.”

As a day one Taylor Swift fan who saw the 1989 tour two times, I will always love everything she releases. Although I believe both sides have fair arguments for their choices, my pick is “folklore.” For a while “evermore” was my top pick (I bought the sweatshirt and everything) until I gave”folklore” another full listen and realized how every single song hits. “Mirrorball” and “this is me trying” are my two favorite songs on the album, and I agree with Emma that the album as a whole feels like a poetic masterpiece.