Super senior retreat

Photo Credit: Anna Jordan

Seniors Sophia Harvey (right) and Joy Harfouche (left) are all smiles at their senior retreat.

Anna Jordan, Assistant Editor-In-Chief

On Tuesday, August 23, Rosary’s senior class headed to the beautiful campus of Saint Martin’s Church in Yorba Linda for the school year’s first fantastic class retreat. The theme of the retreat was “Open the door of your heart to God,” and it’s safe to say that we senior Dinos took advantage of this opportunity to explore our faith as a class.

Starting with a prayerful morning mass with St. Martin’s congregation and the musings of Rosary’s very own Father Ian, the seniors were put into random groups for the day (Though with this class, people have friends at every table!). I happened to sit next to fellow senior Chloe McNamara during morning Mass. Chloe said: “Being at mass with all of the local parishioners was really nice! The church was beautiful and all their traditions were really interesting. I felt like part of a new community.”

Seniors Kate Rosales and Juliet Cortes are ready to take on the day! (Photo Credit: Anna Jordan)

Yummy breakfast burritos and the “Cupid Shuffle” mark every class retreat, and this senior experience was no exception. After some good reps of “Cotton-Eyed Joe” and “Cha-Cha Slide,” it was time to get into the nitty-gritty!

Guided by discussion questions and art activities, the seniors engaged in productive and heartfelt conversations regarding their heart’s door. Emma Silva ’23 had a blast with the group discussions, saying, “I think the retreat focused on helping us explore the things that are holding us back, which is really nice since we will be heading off to college soon. The discussions were honest and comforting.”

The senior class made the most of their activities. (Photo Credit: Anna Jordan)

Mrs. Kearns and Mrs. Flati led fabulous lectures on the wondrous consequences that follow letting God into your heart and taking faith at your own pace. Charlotte Jordan ’23 thoroughly enjoyed Mrs. Kearns’ deep dive into what faith has to offer, though really she resonated with Mrs. Flati’s lecture: “Mrs. Flati’s talk was so personal and moving. I think everyone was very engaged in it.”

As lunchtime crept into our impeccable internal clocks, the seniors were met with top-notch Mexican food to keep the day going. Joy Harfouche ’23 looked wistful when saying, “The lunch at the retreat was so good… I love tacos.” Don’t we all, Joy?

Mr. Bevins wowed the senior crowd with pictures of his daughter. (Photo Credit: Anna Jordan)

Ms. Cole and Mr. Bevins led the day to a near close with two more wonderful discussions on how being open to not only expanding your faith, but also letting change come with grace can keep you from wasting opportunities. Senior Daniela Arias was riveted by Ms. Cole’s lecture and resonated deeply with Mr. Bevins’ talk: “I really enjoyed when Mr. Bevins spoke at the retreat. The way he tied our ever-changing lives as seniors to the milestones of his daughter was super clever and engaging.”

With a musical adoration in the books, the senior class emerged from St. Martin’s feeling closer to each other with a new emphasis on their role in their relationship with God. Don’t worry, I was paying attention! My greatest takeaway is that you only receive from your faith what you decide to invest in your faith, and the same goes for class retreats. Appreciate the resources and discussion Campus Ministry provides with a day or two to spend time with your class and better understand your relationship with God because you only get four!

Katriel Cenabre ’23 was just as wowed as I was when we discovered the candles were water-activated. (Photo Credit: Anna Jordan)

I can say that as a senior, I think that this past retreat might have been my favorite. After all, they decorated the tables with water-activated candles! Who can top that?