Royals on the Rise: Ava Acuña

Photo Provided by Ava Acuña '23

An action shot of Ava on the field.

Daniela Arias, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

So, who exactly is Ava Acuña ’23 you may ask? Well, to me, she’s been a dear friend since the beginning of high school, but you may know her as #14 on the Rosary Lacrosse Team and the number one lacrosse shooter in Trinity League. You heard that right, number one in ALL of Trinity League.

From dabbling in tackle football to ultimately finding her niche in lacrosse, Ava has really done it all in the sports world. To learn more about her endeavors as an athlete throughout the years, I decided to chat with Ava and dive deeper into the details of her life as a phenomenal student athlete and beyond.

Q: When did you first begin lacrosse?

A: I first started playing lacrosse in middle school I think. It was after I stopped playing tackle football and wanted to try a new sport, so around that time.

Q: How did you come to realize that it was your thing?

A: I’ve always liked playing sports ever since I was little, so I think it was a matter of finding the right sport. And I don’t know, I just really liked playing lacrosse. It was fun, exciting, and something new. Every time I picked up my lacrosse stick, I was excited to play and learn new things. It has been an amazing experience finding a sport that I love.

Give it up for the lacrosse GODDESS, Ava Acuña!!! (Photo Provided by Ava Acuña ’23)

Q: Aside from all the righteous and victorious aspects of being a serious teen athlete, what are some of the less “glamorous” aspects?

A: I think having to balance a student athlete life has its challenges. Being able to balance school and my grades as well as my lacrosse practices and games can be difficult at times, but I wouldn’t give it up for anything.

Q: Do you plan on pursuing lacrosse in college?

A: Yes, I do. Playing lacrosse in college would be an amazing opportunity.

Q: Besides being a lacrosse champ, what are some other things you enjoy doing?

A: I enjoy spending time with my friends. I love hanging out with my friends and laughing with them, they bring so much happiness into my life. They help me forget the day-to-day stresses and allow me to slow down a little and enjoy life. They are amazing people, and I’m very thankful to have them in my life, I love them.

Q: What do you see yourself doing in the future?

A: I’m not sure what I see myself doing in the future. People have always told me to find a career that I love so it never feels like work, but I’m not sure what that is for me. I think I’ll figure it out as I start to grow and figure myself out a little better.

Now that we’ve been able to get to know Ava a bit better, let’s revisit the question,  “Who exactly is Ava Acuña?” Ava is a powerful, talented, accomplished, absolute girl boss who is ready to not only take the world of college lacrosse by storm but also dominate her entire future.