Rosary Track & Field excited to compete

(Photo Provided by Michelle Navarro)

Some of the track girls getting ready to compete against El Modena High School.

Colleen Schmitt, Staff Writer

The Rosary Academy Track Team has officially kicked off their 2022 season. So far they have participated in three meets and have seen promise in many events. With new coaches in place, Rosary is looking forward to an exciting and successful 2022 track season.

The three captains of the track team this year are seniors Lauren Aquino, Elena Navarro, and Gabriella Cardenas. Lauren Aquino shared her excitement about this season saying: “It is my last season and since I couldn’t run last year because of COVID, I want to make up for lost time. I am hoping to meet all the goals I set for myself this year. I am also a captain this year, and I get to be an example for the other girls. I like being a second mom and role model to them.”

Lauren also mentioned the new coaching staff and said: “We have such a good and experienced coaching staff this year that I want to make the most of this privilege.”

Elena Navarro who runs a unique but interesting event shared her experience with competing in hurdles: “Competing in hurdles is more of a mental block than anything. Hurdles is very hard and having to perfectly time and perfect your steps takes so much time. The practices are scary because you never know when you could face plant and races are scary too. But, I do love hurdles because of the thrill it gives me to compete. Just getting on the line and hearing the gun go off is a win no matter what place you get.”

There are a lot of new faces on the track team this year. Many freshmen joined the track team, for example, and are trying out different events. Madison Vega ’25 is trying discus throwing for the first time. Maddison shared, “I really am enjoying my first year on the team. My favorite throwing event is discus.”

Maddison Vega ’25 getting ready to throw her discus. (Photo Provided by Michelle Navarro)

Another uncommon event is pole vault. Senior Gabriella Cardenas is going on her fourth year pole vaulting for Rosary Academy. Last year, Gabriella made it to CIF finals. To get to CIF again, Gabriella shared the work it’s going to take to get there: “I feel like to make it to CIF this year, I need to mentally lock in, work hard, and stay confident.”

Gabriella Cardenas ’22 pole vaulting at Servite High School. (Photo Provided by Mario Cardenas)

The Rosary Track Team is on the road to success this year. Good luck to all the girls on the team!