What to watch for a Valentine’s Day night in

Enjoy Valentine’s Day with a heartfelt, romantic movie! (Photo taken from Google Images via the Creative Commons license)

Mary Nassar, News Editor, Creative Writing Editor

It’s that time of the year again. Red and Gold season is underway, February is upon us, and Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Whether you’re in a relationship or not, Valentine’s Day is a great day to celebrate love in all its shapes and forms. If you decide on staying in, I’ve got some perfect movie recommendations that’ll make you a hopeless romantic (if you’re not one already) and make this year’s Valentine’s Day one to remember.

1. “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before”

I had to start off with this romantic classic! Available to stream on Netflix, “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” tells the story of Lara Jean Covey, who’s life turns upside down when her secret love letters get mysteriously mailed out to each of her 5 crushes. And when Peter Kavinsky, the most popular boy in school gets involved, her love life gets a little…complicated, to say the least. This heartthrob of a movie is one of my all time favorites and is perfect for a night in on Valentine’s Day.

1. “The Notebook”

The classic to end all classics. Does this movie even need any explanation? Available to stream on Hulu and HBO Max, “The Notebook” recounts the whirlwind romance of Noah and Allie in 1940s South Carolina. Even though countless obstacles keep them apart for many years, they eventually find their way back to each other, and the strong bonds of their love stand the test of time. Will you be ugly crying throughout the whole movie? Yes. Will it be worth it? Absolutely!

1. “10 Things I Hate About You”

This movie is the epitome of the 90s, and you can’t change my mind. Available to stream on Disney+, “10 Things I Hate About You” is a classic 90s romance movie, adapted from the Shakespeare comedy “The Taming of the Shrew.” It follows the hilarious antics of Patrick, a new student, to win the heart of Kat, who’s averse to the whole idea of dating. The growth of their relationship and how their love blossoms in the end is incredibly heartwarming. And Kat’s poem at the end of the movie? Let’s just say, it’s the best thing I’ve heard, and my life’s goal is to write something as inspiring and captivating as her poem.

While these are some of my personal favorites, there are hundreds of thousands of other movies I could recommend, but here’s a few more that didn’t make my top three!

“Notting Hill” (Amazon Prime Video)

Julia Roberts AND Hugh Grant? Enough said.

“You’ve Got Mail” (HBO Max and Amazon Prime Video)

Tom Hanks will forever be my celebrity crush, and Meg Ryan is simply an angel in human form. Seriously, this movie is pure gold.

“How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days” (Amazon Prime Video)

I’m IN LOVE with Matthew McConaughey. And his chemistry with co-star Kate Hudson? Absolutely impeccable.

“Sleepless in Seattle” (Amazon Prime Video)

Another Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks collab? Say no more.

“My Best Friend’s Wedding” (Amazon Prime Video)

I’m OBSESSED with Julia Roberts and Durmot Mulroney’s performance in this movie of continuous failed attempts to win over your best friend…who’s about to be married to someone else.

And there you have it! These are some of my favorite romantic movies to put you in the mood for Valentine’s Day. Once you select a movie to watch, all you need is some popcorn, a warm, fuzzy blanket, and you’re all set to have the perfect Valentine’s Day. Happy watching!

Let me know what your favorite romance movie is in the comments!