What college class would you teach?

Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License.

Get to know more about the story of Demeter and Persephone through Alex’s Women in Myth class.

Chelsea Bartilad, Staff Writer

As college application season is coming to an end, and we await for our Regular Decision responses from schools, I’ve decided to ask some people what kind of classes they would teach at a college if they were professors. 

If given the opportunity to teach at a college, senior Jaclyn Rodriguez says she would teach Anime Psychology, a course where students are able to watch anime and analyze the characters from a psychological perspective. “I love watching anime, especially seeing the characters’ complex personalities and character development. I’m also taking Psychology, so it would be pretty interesting to take a class analyzing these characters,” Jackie described. 

Alex Hutchison ‘22 says she would love to teach Women in Myth, where students can learn about the importance of femininity in mythology and the large roles women play in stories and myths. Alex continues with, “Women are more than just a ‘romantic interest,’ and I believe that we should learn more about that.” 

Sophomore Brianna Salazar says that if she were a college professor, she would want to teach organic chemistry. Brianna shares, “It’s a hard class to learn, but I feel that I would make it easier if I could teach it.”

Skylar Cooper ’22  would love to teach Self Defense and Medical Assistance. Skylar says, “I would want people to be in this class so they can stay safe and know how to save themselves in a dangerous situation.”  

If Mandy Puga ‘24 was a college professor, she would teach Egyptology. “When I was younger,” Mandy states, “I was obsessed with learning about Egypt, and I would always be reading stories about the culture and civilization. I was fascinated with the life story of Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, and Nefertiti. I even used to build pyramids with my duplay legos!” 

Learn more about Egypt with Mandy! (Photo taken from Google Images via Creative Commons License. )

Although I can’t think of a name for this class, I would love to teach a class where my students and I can read and analyze books that musicians have read, and how the books influenced their music, from Hozier, to Taylor Swift, to BTS! 

Fun fact: Taylor Swift’s song “Tolerate It” was inspired by Daphne Du Maurier’s Rebecca! (Photo Credit: Chelsea Bartilad ’22)

If you were a college professor, what kind of class would you teach? Comment down below!