A definitive ranking of ALL my “dream” careers

(Photo taken from www.mattel.com)

I DON’T KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO WITH MY LIFE!

Daniela Arias, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

“I feel like a Barbie!.” This is what I catch myself saying to my mom lately. I don’t relate with the glamorous aspects of Barbie but more so her ambition. We see her as a flight attendant, a doctor, a movie director, an actress, and taking on so many occupations—so why can’t I do the same thing? Why do I have to have one specific and consistent thing in mind that I want to do as my career?!

Thinking more realistically, I guess I can’t uphold careers as a lawyer, doctor, CEO, chef, and billion dollar real estate mogul simultaneously, but gosh—I really wish I could.

In honor of my Barbie-esque ambition through the years, I’ve compiled a list in which I will be ranking ALL of the “dream” careers that I have ever considered. So, buckle up folks, you’re taking a wild ride on the bumpy road that is, of course, my ever changing future “plan.”

6) Agriculture Business

This is just boring. So, where exactly did this dream originate? The answer is that rando Disney World ride that is in Epcot. This ride which allows you to rest your achy legs takes you through Disney’s gardens where the various vegetables, fruits, and more can be seen being grown with various forms of gardening. Like I said earlier, this is a very boring and short-lived dream career of mine, but for a minute, after exiting the rather insightful and tranquil ride, I could see myself being the mastermind behind everything that goes into the distribution of the food you have on your plate 3 times a day, seven days a week.

5) Movie Director

A Barbie presidential campaign team, ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I feel oddly empowered. Maybe I want to be the president now… (Photo taken from @barbie on Instagram)

Ah, show business, isn’t it everyone’s dream at some point? This desired career was also VERY short-lived. I love movies. My favorite thing to do is to snuggle up with my favorite blanket in my room and watch a good movie(s). Honestly, in one week, I think I might just watch between four to five movies. Anyways, I just felt such a strong attraction to wanting to be apart of that process. I have no interest in acting whatsoever, but I would definitely not mind working behind the camera. This short-lived dream led me to believe that I could be the next Spielberg, Coppola, or DuVernay.

4) Fertility Doctor

Although, this was a while back, I still remember how my appeal to this career was sparked in the first place. There I was sitting in the living room with reruns of Keeping Up With the Kardashians playing in the background, and there it was. A little recap on the episode for context. Kim was visiting the fertility doctor and exploring the options of both IVF or surrogacy. This episode actually touched my heart. To be able to help anyone wanting children who have issues conceiving just seemed like a remarkable process to be apart of. Although I marveled at the entire job, I ultimately strayed away rom this potential career path when I found out about the lengthy process that is medical school…

3) Broadcast Journalist

Is it just me, or do I kind of look like this Barbie news anchor… The world has spoke, I’m becoming a news personality. (Photo taken from @barbie on Instagram)

In middle school, I was on my school’s Broadcast Podcast. This was basically an amateur news station of some sorts. We had anchors, field reporters, and really the whole shabang. I was the calendar girl. My job was to update the student body on what was going on while incorporating themes and jokes into the segment. I wrote all of my own segment script, read it off the teleprompter, and it’s safe to say that I thought I was a bigshot at the time. My “dream” to pursue broadcast journalism did not resurface until sometime before the end of 2021. I would see TikTok upon TikTok of news anchors and their daily lives, and for a moment I thought that I could have pictured myself doing everything that they do daily.

2) Veterinarian/Zoologist

Ever since I was little, I have had such a strong adoration for all types of animals. From Kindergarten up till 5th grade, I was sure that whatever my future career was going to be, it HAD to involve animals somehow. Whether I worked with baby orangutans in Borneo, started my own animal sanctuary for all types of animals, or was just a local exotic and domestic animal veterinarian, I knew something around those regards was my “calling.” I will always and forever say that in my most idealistic life, this is what I would pursue. My future plans became warped with images of dollar bills as I began to grow older, and I went from wanting to work with animals to wanting careers that were said to be more “prosperous.” But I know for a fact that once I have my money in line from whatever career path I decide to dive into, I WILL fund/start a non-profit animal shelter or animal sanctuary of some sorts.

1) Civil Rights Lawyer

This was one of the few dream careers in which I actually got myself involved in activities to kick start it. I had never wanted to be a lawyer before, but I’m a talker, so it’s always been one of those careers that I thought I could dominate. Well a career as a lawyer is typically glorified by individuals, specifically parents, I never wanted to pursue this because of any monetary concern, but more so because it seems like a genuinely engaging job in which I’m actively helping others and making some sort of impact on society. I went to the ACLU Summer Advocacy institute, and I LOVED it! Although it was on zoom, there was so many like minded people that it honestly felt quite refreshing. Polarization is what makes the world go round but to be in a virtual room where everyone collectively wants to work towards the same type of change felt amazing. This is ranked number one on my list because I guess it’s still not totally ruled out, BUT the only thing potentially deterring me from this path is law school. Don’t get me wrong, I WANT to go to college so badly, but would I want to spend a total of eight years in school? Not so much.

Well, I bet you’re all wondering, “So…what’s your dream career now?,” and the answer to that is POSSIBLY some sort of role in communications or PR—perhaps a Director of PR or Communications. I just want a job that classifies me as a girl boss, yes, that’s what I want. Feel free to comment your current dream career or past dream career(s)!