A strong start to the Mock Trial season

Melanie Kamel ’24 and Rebecca Nassar ’25 smiling after receiving their scores. Photo Credit: Elena Walz

Elena Walz, Editor-in-Chief

Last Tuesday, Nov. 2, the Mock Trial team defeated Santa Ana Valley High School in their first virtual match of the season. Rosary’s team is divided into two sides: defense and prosecution. Each side will compete twice in the first round of the competitions, hoping to earn a spot in the “sweet 16” bracket.

The Royals’ prosecution team started off with a pretrial motion presented by sophomore Melanie Kamel who shared, “My first Mock Trial competition was a little nerve wracking in the beginning but I knew my coaches had prepared me well and I felt more confident than ever speaking in front of the judge.”

Next, the opening statement was delivered by Eliana Guillen ’23, followed by the remaining witnesses, trial attorney, and closing statement. Eliana commented, “Before the Mock Trial match started, I was a bundle of nerves and excitement. But, once the match started and I delivered my opening statement all of that melted away. It was really great to see my teammates compete for the first time, and they all did amazing. I can’t wait to see how far we will go this year.”

Join the team for their next match on Tuesday, Nov. 9 at 4:45 p.m. in room 103.