May your costumes be hallowed!

Steve from Minecraft in costume form. What else is there to say?
(Photo via Google under the Wikimedia Commons)

Steve from “Minecraft” in costume form. What else is there to say? (Photo via Google under the Wikimedia Commons)

Isabelle Brookshire, Copy Editor

Happy Halloween!!! Oh, not yet? Mm okay, it’s in a week. Right, right. Wait, IT’S IN A WEEK?!

Okay, I may not know how time works anymore, but others surely do. I mean, they already know what they’re going to wear for Halloween at school!

Quick interjection before we continue further: If you don’t have your costume planned—don’t worry. I don’t either. I just asked the most prepared students (and teacher!) I could find.

If you’re into 2021’s most popular TV shows, you’re in luck. We’ve got Marvel, Marvel, this Marvel, that Marvel, more Marvel… Am I repeating myself?

A different iteration of ‘variants’ are found in Mrs. Hunt’s costume plan. Because the infamous blood drive (very Halloween-y) coincides with Halloween day at school, those volunteering at it will be able to dress up! She says, “The blood drive is on the 29th—that’s the day we’re dressing up for Halloween, so that’s exciting. I hope the Science National Honors Society girls join me in being Loki variants! I love Halloween dress-up day every year and Ms. Lanctot and I will both be Loki variants!”

Loki posing for a picture. Can’t wait to see his variants on the 29th! (Photo via Google under the Wikimedia Commons)

Am I seeing double? Double trouble that is! *Loki laugh*

Oh… That was cringe, right? Sorry. It’s hard not to use puns. I just can’t pun away from them!

ICK! Anyways, I definitely recommend watching “Loki” if you have the opportunity and joining in on the ‘Loki variant plan’ if you happen to be volunteering at the blood drive!

Another Marvel fan has a plan to dress up as beloved Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch! Sophia Kondo ‘22 says, “I’m dressing up as Wanda from ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron.’ The Thespian Troupe Board is in charge of putting on a fantastic Halloween party every year and this year we all chose to dress up as characters within the MCU. Wanda is definitely one of my favorite Marvel characters and I’m also especially excited for it because I used this costume as an excuse to finally buy Doc Martens that I’ve been wanting for a while!”

Sophia Kondo’s work-in-progress Wanda costume! (Photo Credit: Sophia Kondo)

I have to agree, Wanda is pretty darn cool. I can’t say much because I don’t want to spoil even a minute amount from either “Avengers: Age of Ultron” or “WandaVision” but Sophia’s costume is so good it alters reality!

I’m so funny.

Speaking of funny, what’s funnier than people risking their lives for money by playing Korean childhood games? A lot, actually, because “Squid Game” would have a hard time marketing itself as a comedy.

Besides that, the show is filled with interesting plot twists and great characters, like Kang Sae-byeok and Gi-hun! Seniors Katie Fang and Jackie Rodriguez talk about their plans to dress up as these characters: “Katie and I are going to be the players of ‘Squid Game.’ Jackie is going as player 067 and I am going as 456… We are also going to bring the ‘Squid Game’ cards!”

When asked why they chose these costumes specifically, Katie replied: “‘Squid Game’ is such an intricate and twisted show, which is why it is one of my favorites. I wanted to dress up as one of my favorite characters, Gi-Hun, so it would become a good memory.”

“Squid Game” has been pervading basically all of social media these past few weeks—and for good reason. It’s a well-written show that appeals to morality, friendship in unexpected places, and human determination in an edge-of-your-seat manner that just makes you go Woah.

So again, I definitely recommend all of the shows aforementioned to you if you haven’t watched them already. They’re good shows, I promise! (I know I can’t promise over subjectivity, but let me live).

And finally, Jen’s Corpse. Or in more widely known terms, “Jennifer’s Body!” Cicleri Ramirez ‘24 says, “This Halloween I plan to coordinate a costume idea with my best friend, Irene Fernandez. For those who haven’t seen Jennifer’s Body, ummm… what are you doing with your life? For this Halloween we decided that we would dress up as the roles of Jennifer and Needy; I would dress up as Needy and Irene would dress up as Jennifer. We also thought that these characters sort of symbolized our friendship. I’m excited to see how the costumes come out. So if you haven’t seen it, go do that right now!!” 

Ahh! I would love to go see it right now, but I kind of have to finish this article. Talk about a day in the life of a Royal Reporter!

Anyhow, I’m sure the costumes will end up looking great (and if you haven’t watched it, you and me both! But hopefully we’ll have the opportunity to)!

Luckily, we’ll all get to see the outcomes of all of these costumes on the fated 29th of October!

If you came to this article looking for ideas, I hope you were inspired! Whatever you do decide to do, I’m sure it’ll look fantastic. Hope you all have a spooky, spooky week leading up to Halloween, and don’t forget… I scare about you!

(…NO MORE PUNS!)