Alum spotlight: McKenzie and Lauren Hansen

Lauren wearing Made Ya Look’s most popular products. Photo provided by Lauren Hansen.

Evelyn LeVecke, Staff Writer

From walking the Academy halls to strolling on the campus of Chapman University, the Hansen sisters have always been a dynamic duo. McKenzie Hansen ‘16, a recent 2020 graduate from Chapman, earned a human sciences degree with a minor in nutrition and is now working at CHOC Hospital and studying to be a Physician’s Assistant. Lauren Hansen ‘18, however, is a current senior at Chapman and plans to graduate in May 2022 with a degree in communications with double minors in leadership and education.

Besides studying and working, these two sisters created a jewelry brand back in 2019 called Made You Look, OC. When asked about the creation of this company, McKenzie expressed, “We would always bounce around business ideas but nothing seemed

Happy customers wearing custom Made Ya Look bracelets. Photo provided by Lauren Hansen.

to stick until we came up with Made Ya Look, OC!” She went on to say, “We saw the idea of quality beaded jewelry as something not only we would love to wear, but something we know would be in high demand.”

These custom pieces are perfect as gifts and are trending with the times. Lauren conveyed, “We sell a variety of jewelry including 14k gold-filled bracelets, rings, and necklaces, as well as sterling silver and rose gold pieces too.” She went on to explain, “None of our pieces tarnish and are made with great quality materials, and all of the pieces are customizable.”

The sister entrepreneurs, McKenzie and Lauren Hansen. Photo provided McKenzie Hansen.

The sister duo handcrafts each piece for every customer. McKenzie said, “Each bracelet takes about 10-15 minutes to hand bead and each necklace takes about 30-40 minutes to hand bead and connect.”

Made Ya Look, OC’s most popular pieces are the gold bracelets and necklaces, and these sisters are excited to see their brand expand. When asked what her favorite part about sharing a business with McKenzie, Lauren expressed, “Being able to work with my sister comes with many highs and few lows. It is very easy to communicate with each other and hold ourselves accountable to make sure we get our job done. Being able to hang out with my sister, probably more than she would like, has grown our friendship from sisters/best friends to business partners!”

To shop or learn more about the Rosary Alumnae-owned company, follow them on Instagram @made.ya.look.oc or look on their website, https://madeyalookoc.