A new perspective on Servite Football games

The Asylum dressed up in “Beach” theme. Photo Provided By: Lucca Deocariza ’22

Daly Holman

After a long one and a half years of zero football games, Rosary and Servite students have filled the stands during the three football games of the 2021 season. In even better news, the Servite Football Team is three for three!

Football games can become very chaotic; between the loud crowds in the stands and the serious game on the field, there is always something to watch. In order to show the true chaos that occurs at these games, I interviewed different students from all parts of the crowd.

Lucca Deocariza ‘22 is one of the Servite Asylum leaders this year. He explained: “As an Asylum leader, I have to keep my energy up all week and constantly get people hyped up for the games. I also have to plan a lot behind the scenes and help raise our own money to fund props and costumes for the games.”

Each football game, the Asylum follows a strict theme chosen by the leaders. The themes this year have been “Black Out,” “Beach,” and “USA.” Deocariza said: “My favorite theme this year was for sure ‘Black Out’ because everyone looked unified, and the whole student section looked sick.”

Bathroom raves have also become popular at Servite. These “raves” consist of a huge speaker and lots of boys. Every game day, the Friars schedule a time during lunch to squeeze into the bathroom and “rave” to hype music.

When asked about the reason behind the newest game day tradition, Deocariza explained: “We just wanted to get everyone super pumped about the first game, and then we decided to continue every week for every game.”

Captain of the Rosary Cheer Team Jade Sandovol ‘22 stated: “My favorite part about being on the sideline is being able to cheer with my teammates.” As captain of the team, Jade gets to both cheer on the field and lead the crowd in cheers by speaking into a microphone. She said: “I like calling out cheers more than doing the cheers because I like encouraging the crowd to join in on the chants.”

Senior football star Brock Beuerlein is super excited to be back playing on the field for the last time. He shared his favorite part about playing for Servite: “The brotherhood established with all of my teammates, and the commitment of coming together as one makes the experience memorable.”

When asked about having the crowd back in the stands, Beuerlein replied: “The electricity in the stands motivates us players to play our very best. The Asylum is the best student section in the state for a reason, and it shows at every game. We are so thankful for our supporters that cheer us on.”

Lastly, Kate Curry ‘22 is a four-year member of the Rosary Dance Team. She exclaimed: “My favorite style to do on the sidelines is hip hop. Our touchdown dance, Fun Mix, is one of my favorites.”

The Servite Asylum screams at the camera at the “blackout” themed football game.
Photo Provided By: Lucca Deocariza ’22
The Servite Asylum poses for a selfie.
Photo Provided By: Lucca Deocariza ’22
The seniors on the Rosary Cheer Team strike a pose on the sideline.
Photo Provided By: Jade Sandoval ’22
Brock Beuerlein ’22 jumps up to make a big catch.
Photo Provided By: Brock Beuerlein ’22
The seniors of the Rosary Dance Team smile for the camera.
Photo Provided By: Kate Curry ’22
The Rosary Dance Team poses at the Servite Football game last week.
Photo Provided By: Kate Curry ’22

Curry also gets to lead cheers on the microphone at games. When asked if she liked dancing or calling out chants more, she answered: “I like dancing more than being on the mic. It can get very stressful to have to think about what you are saying and make sure you don’t mess up. Dancing definitely comes more naturally to me.”

The Royals and Friars are beyond excited for the rest of the football season. Between the homecoming game and senior night, students have a lot more excitement coming up.