The End of Soccer Season

The+2020-2021+Rosary+varsity+soccer+team.+

Photo provided by Annabella Barretto.

The 2020-2021 Rosary varsity soccer team.

Adriana Arroyo, Staff Writer

On Monday night, Rosary Soccer had their end-of-year banquet to celebrate the close of the 2020-2021 soccer season. The banquet safely took place outdoors on Rosary’s campus, and tables and chairs were placed according to safe social distancing guidelines.

The soccer team does a huddle before games to get each player hyped up. Photo from the Rosary Soccer Instagram.

Both the junior varsity and varsity teams attended the banquet to celebrate their hard work throughout the season and give a warm send-off to five seniors: Katryn Goggins, Ryann Ersek, Julianna Levecke, Tara Fishman, and Lolani Blas.

The soccer team takes a group picture after winning a game. Photo provided by Emma Oskorus.

Sophomore and varsity soccer player Emma Oskorus shared some highlights from this past season: “My favorite part of the soccer season was our pre-game ritual. Before each game, we would all come together in a circle and one of our seniors would get everyone energized and hyped up.” Emma’s favorite part of the banquet night was celebrating the seniors: “I enjoyed honoring our seniors. They are a very uplifting group of girls and brought such good energy to the team.”

Freshman Julia Watson said her favorite part of the soccer season was being able to have team bonding events: “I loved doing our lip sync battle and seeing everyone perform and dance in their silly costumes.” Banquet night was special for Julia, and she enjoyed watching her friends receive awards for their hard work, explaining, “It was amazing to see all of my friends get their awards and see the varsity team earn letters for their jackets.”

Samara DeLeon ’23 said her favorite part of the soccer season was connecting with her team: “I loved making memories with my team every day for the past four months.” Samara also mentioned that her favorite part of the banquet was, “having the varsity team huddle together to do the pre-game cheer.” Samara is excited for the seniors as they start this new chapter and will miss their presence on the team: “Even though I will miss the seniors, I know they are going to do great things. They were always so supportive of each person on the team and I will always be grateful for that.”

Senior Ryann Ersek said what she loved most about this past soccer season was watching her younger peers improve: “I loved being able to see the freshmen and sophomores get out of their comfort zones and play such big roles in each game.” Ryann also enjoyed attending the banquet and explained, “The banquet was definitely different due to COVID, but we all made the best of it. It was so nice to see everyone outside of school and soccer.”

Next year, Ryann will be attending Texas Christian University, and she said what she will miss most about playing soccer for Rosary is the team bond: “Rosary soccer has played with such heart and fight, which gets us very far compared to other teams. The team has so much personality and flare, I know that will never fade.”

Congratulations to the Rosary soccer team for a great season. We can’t wait to see what’s in store for the team next year and for the five graduating seniors.